antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: telementary

Post by antus »

Ive got a car cruize here in adelaide (the bay to birdwood) coming up in a few weeks, Im gonna try to record from a forward facing grill mount camera on a digital video cam, and have an external mike on one of the two stereo channels and feed the 8192 baud data in to the other channel. I cant see why it wouldnt be possible to play it back in to a com port later on, collect the data with timestamps, and from that make some nice looking dash board telementy overlay that could be put on the footage in a pc video editing app later! will have to see how that one goes. Might need a function in the bin to spit out data frames @8192 automatically, but i know that can be done :thumbup:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i actually found 2 modules the other day online one to transmit data from a serial cable such as the aldl cable and one to receive at the pc end were cheap as .might not quite be what you need but very close http://www.electronickits.com/kit/compl ... s/k173.htm
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
GONZO

Post by GONZO »

antus wrote:Ive got a car cruize here in adelaide (the bay to birdwood) coming up in a few weeks, Im gonna try to record from a forward facing grill mount camera on a digital video cam, and have an external mike on one of the two stereo channels and feed the 8192 baud data in to the other channel. I cant see why it wouldnt be possible to play it back in to a com port later on, collect the data with timestamps, and from that make some nice looking dash board telementy overlay that could be put on the footage in a pc video editing app later! will have to see how that one goes. Might need a function in the bin to spit out data frames @8192 automatically, but i know that can be done :thumbup:
I think the digital signal far the ALDL will be a poor match for the audio input. There are DC blocking capacitors used when coupling audio signals. These will allow the rising edge and falling edge of each byte of the ALDL to be received but when you try and output the ALDL stream the receiver wont be able to tell whether it is a logic high or logic low. You will need to find something to modulate and demodulate the signal at either end. :wtf:
kaBOOM
cars: Sirius Deej, VL Calais Turbo

Post by kaBOOM »

A post from a long time lurker, who is recovering from having tonsils taken out...so I'll build something Delco related!

Since the Delco powered car is only used on a race track, in line of sight, (and I don't drive it) I kinda like the idea of a wireless link....so....

I know its only 160 Baud, but I'm pretty sure that that the class rules (Group 2A) don't permit bidirectional data links...I think....It works at the moment to the extent of the inside of my living room....it could probably be improved (as my electronics skills are not too crash hot!) knock yourselves out!

Which leads me onto a question: I use the code based on a $5D Camira map, if I upgrade to the more modern code bases (eg OSE12P?) that support 8192 via a max232 chip on the ECU, do I loose the ability to output 160 ALDL data via the CEL light?

Or have I just created a useless toy?
...when in doubt, simply throw more electronics at it!
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

neat! can you post any photos of the units? you are correct, if you use the later 8192 bins - you do lose the 160 buad. I remember VL400 saying that it shouldnt be too hard to mod the code so it outputs the 8192 data frames all the time, then it is still only one way communication.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

hey cool that you've done it :) Yeah VL400 could probably add the ability to output data frames at 8192 continuously, then we'd need something on the pc side to keep tunerpro sync'd to the inbound data. Although it stands a reasonable chance of just working. If TP flushed its serial buffer mid message, it'd also kill the next one. We might need something that can wait for tunerpros outbound request, then let the next reply come in, so technically the data link is still uni-directional.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Nice work :) Its pretty easy to add something that happens automatically in 12P (the code is all there). Would just be how to setup TP/SP and the range you can get out of them - the ones I used awhile ago were very limited unfortunately.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

http://www.datahunter.com/product_selector.html
These guys have some interesting products that would be well suited to a DIY telemetry setup.
Cost a bit more than the jaycar modules, but you could have 8192 baud logging and much better range (with an adequate antenna).
kaBOOM
cars: Sirius Deej, VL Calais Turbo

Post by kaBOOM »

Sorry guys I can't get my mobile phone to connect to my PC :( Dammit, no pics....it really isn't a pretty looking piece of equipment!

Since the car only shoots around Mallala, it is within line of sight. I'm not after super range. Yes these units are quite limited. I'll try to bug my father for a RF amp, he's the RF nut (Ham).
TP/SP

I assume your talking about the transmitter etc?

So you suggest I do all my playing now on 12P?

Plan B....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2pc-433MHz-RS232 ... 3efa2216ae

However I assume that 8192 requires full duplex?
...when in doubt, simply throw more electronics at it!
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

I think he meant TunerPro/Scanner Pro.
8192 wouldn't need to be full duplex if the 12p code was modified such that it transmits the required data without first having to wait for a request