Workaround for 24/7 power requirement

Thought Of A Good Feature To Add Tell Everyone About It Here
bbpanel

Workaround for 24/7 power requirement

Post by bbpanel »

This may be applicable to a lot of ECU/PCM's but I'm primarily interested in the P01 (0411) PCM. I have virtually no circuitry knowledge so if I'm crazy just say so. How difficult would it be to add non-volatile memory to store the data that is lost when the PCM is powered off? I'm sure there would be some OS programming involved as well. Wasn't sure if this had been addressed before so I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Thanks. -Bob
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Workaround for 24/7 power requirement

Post by antus »

it would be reasonably difficult as there is no plug in compatible nvram type IC (that I am aware of) that is a 5v parallel part of the same size as the IC. It would also break the factory flash process as the pcm will try and drive an intel IC and eg put 12v on the power pin, which will do damage for the nvram. ideally you would probably want to put your own pc data link software in for flashing updates, and just protect against the factory write routines which would fail.

These higher voltage (5v) parallel parts are hard to work with as most the newer hardware that sounds like it'd just work is usually designed for lower voltages on newer serial bus processors.

For what its worth the Moates road runner hardware pretty much did this, and I think dicks RTLS1 did something similar too. Other products like nistune also have taken the custom hardware approach and come up with a chip emulation solution which would not directly work here but some custom hardware with the same approach would work.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
j_ds_au

Re: Workaround for 24/7 power requirement

Post by j_ds_au »

You'd need to rewire the PCM ignition/run supply input to a constantly-on battery supply line. But this would drain the battery much quicker than normal with the ignition off.

Joe.