antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Best VPN's & Web Browsers May 2023

Post by antus »

The genuine ones are 3 amp which is usually good. If its that one but a 3rd party cable try another cable.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

antus wrote:The genuine ones are 3 amp which is usually good. If its that one but a 3rd party cable try another cable.
I think I'll be picking up a new power supply, for some reason it's seems it was running of a generic USB charger, 5 volt probably 2.1 amp power supply which would may well be the problem.

Cheers for the info.
exo3901

Post by exo3901 »

Daily browsing Firefox and Brave. Also have chrome for when my settings in the first two break websites. Ublock, skipredirect, cleanurls, pihole, and more recently have been trying to find something to auto answer all the stupid cookie pop ups.

Most other odd things you may do that you think require a VPN should be done within a VM as well, for reasons. Your VPN choice should be based on the faith you have in the providers data retention and sharing policies. If the provider uses RAM only servers that is a good start.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

exo3901 wrote:Daily browsing Firefox and Brave. Also have chrome for when my settings in the first two break websites. Ublock, skipredirect, cleanurls, pihole, and more recently have been trying to find something to auto answer all the stupid cookie pop ups.

Most other odd things you may do that you think require a VPN should be done within a VM as well, for reasons. Your VPN choice should be based on the faith you have in the providers data retention and sharing policies. If the provider uses RAM only servers that is a good start.
Can you explain the VM over VPN a bit more? I don't have a VPN but I am familiar with VM's. But I've never used one on the internet.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Im going to assume avoid tracking by browser fingerprinting. You can check your browser for that here: https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/ I'm running brave with ublock origin and I was actually very surprised to see it come up just now as very strongly protected against tracking. Can not complain about that! But in general you have to assume your machine is trackable, regardless of your connection, therefore if you run a vm - its not your regular machine and that's another layer. What's more, you cant trust the VPN providers either, and you don't want to do stuff like internet banking over a VPN. So having a VM you can do stuff like internet banking in the outside machine without the vpn, to reduce your risk there.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
exo3901

Post by exo3901 »

Browser tracking is one of the main reasons, as noted. VM is also helpful if you are downloading questionable files. If anything happens to the VM, you can just delete it and make a new one.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

For those in the know in a similar thing to topic, why do web browsers open up so many processes when in use? I have firefox open with just 1 page for hotmail emails & it has around 15 processes for it?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Processes are stand alone. Threads execute like processes but share the memory and resources so multiple things can be happening at once. This is the technical answer, though its very deep. https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/ipc/index.html
You probably want an answer more like - So that it can do multiple things at once in parallel. It can run the Javascript, plugins, render pages, load images etc etc all at the same time. Each tab gets its own execution context to help with security too, but you only have one open so that's not come in to play yet.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Ahhh cool, thank you very much for that!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

antus wrote:Im going to assume avoid tracking by browser fingerprinting. You can check your browser for that here: https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/ I'm running brave with ublock origin and I was actually very surprised to see it come up just now as very strongly protected against tracking. Can not complain about that! But in general you have to assume your machine is trackable, regardless of your connection, therefore if you run a vm - its not your regular machine and that's another layer. What's more, you cant trust the VPN providers either, and you don't want to do stuff like internet banking over a VPN. So having a VM you can do stuff like internet banking in the outside machine without the vpn, to reduce your risk there.
I found that link quite interesting and a little educational.