Turbo Manifold

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
MOPAR
cars: Delco'd '57 Chrysler Royal
'62 XL Falcon

Turbo Manifold

Post by MOPAR »

I have a Garret Airesearch T04 turbo with a split pulse exaust housing, I'm building a manifold for a E series falcon my question is do I need to segrigate the pipe's ie 3 pipes to each of the 2 inlets or will it work ok with 6 into 1
TTVN
cars: TT 355 VN, Rearmount turbo 355 vp, cammed 355 hj60 landcruiser, vx clubby n efilive VZ ls1 wagon

Re: Turbo Manifold

Post by TTVN »

obviously the 2 lots of 3 is the optimum with running a split pulse housing

if it was me

if rear housing is on the smallish side for the application you can just run the 6 into 1 which will increase flow and lower backpressure

if the rear is on the big side id seperate them into the 2 lots and run them split pulse to give better boost response

id also use split pulse if the turbo should be right for the application

either way it will work you only have to worry about manifold design once you step up in the cam duration and overlap
MOPAR
cars: Delco'd '57 Chrysler Royal
'62 XL Falcon

Post by MOPAR »

Another question with a split pulse setup how would an external wastegate be plumbed? If I only gate one inlet port on the turbo would it bypass enough exahuast gas or would I need to run 2 wastegates?
TTVN
cars: TT 355 VN, Rearmount turbo 355 vp, cammed 355 hj60 landcruiser, vx clubby n efilive VZ ls1 wagon

Post by TTVN »

do not only gate 1 port as that will lower TIP on those 3 cylinder which will make them run lean as they will flow more than the other 3 cylinders with higher backpressure

iv used twin wastegates on a rotary with excellent results

you could tuck the gate in close to the collector and take the wastegate off there 50/50 both banks

you will get a syphon effect through the gap but its still better than open collector