Your thoughts on E85

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Apples

Re: Your thoughts on E85

Post by Apples »

Found the article on E85 so scanned to pdf.
E85 article.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 281 times
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
djbrooksy

Post by djbrooksy »

i have nothing great to input but what i can tell you is
Methanol will suck moisture out of the air if not sealed and stored right

look it to c16 i think you can get it a bp depo's
it's old avgas that can no longer be used in planes
there is a thread about it on ozgemini.com i will have a dig and see if i can find it
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i'm not that keen on something like c16 because its probably just as out of the way to get as methanol ..... maybe not quite as much but you know what i mean .....

the main attractions for me with E85 is that it can give me better performance (even if i do consume more of it) and it can be aquired from a petrol pump!

i read that above article and it sounds like in racing circles theres alot of development of it and some good results...

it seems fairly certain that the going standard is about 30% more is needed than petrol ..... which for the 450 holley im running on the 202 shouldn't be a problem for it to cope with ... if my theory is right currently its got 58 jets in it which i might add are too rich for it at the moment so 58 x 1.3 = 75 .... this is an easily achievable upgrade and the idle screws have more than enough in them to adjust for that need also.....

i will probably have issues with the accelerator pump as its borderline now but there are bigger options there aswell ....

my fuel pump is methanol rated and is capable of 14 psi with a simple spring change so theres no problems there either

on this basis i am keen to give it a punt ..... i'm thinking i will have to visit my local go fast shop, get a few jets and a methanol rebuild kit for the carby and see how i go i reckon ....

oh and at some stage i will be pulling the head off the motor and probably deck it to get the compression up, its also got a 60 thou decompression plate in it too so that will help to pump it up to a nice 12.5 or so and then we'll be in business :)