Toyota Carby to EFI

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
ToyHicko
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car

Toyota Carby to EFI

Post by ToyHicko »

Hi all

Ok I'm new to the whole EFI tuning and very Green on delco. I've done some research but can't find an answer for my question. What are the programs that can be used on a 4 Cylinder with a 1227808 ecu? Ok I know $54 and $5D are possible But looking to use a knock sensor due to Highly tuned engine so is it possible to run $12 or even the custom code $59. What would be the best program to use?

Back ground information on the car and engine
Toyota Celica (TA22) '73 model Chassis

Modified Imported 2TG engine.
Stroked from 1.6 to 1.8L, Longer duration Cams, Head ported, Bigger Valves, Extractors, Re graphed Dizzy, Re jetted Solex carbies.

Ok due to the modification the engine has become hard to tune on the Solex carbies so I have collected a Factor EFI manifold for this engine. I've looked around at other aftermarket ECU and decided to head down the Delco path. So far I have Collected a JE Camira Wiring loom, JE Computer and memcal, JE Throttle Body to be grafted onto my manifold, ignition module, coil and sensors.

Ignition is easy as Toyota had reluctor dizzy that the guts fit straight in to my dizzy.

I've worked out most thing except the VSS and the which program to use.

Any help would be appreciated

Jason
delcowizzid

Re: Toyota Carby to EFI

Post by delcowizzid »

welcome to the site mate .any of them work really.the $12 wont work with the camira ignition module though but VL400 does have a specially modified $12 for that purpose.but they all will run a knock sensor ide stick with the stock 4 cylinder bins probably the easiest to change to suit.as for the VSS theres a few places that do VSS that will fit and have a cable output and pulses if needed.if the toyota allready has a VSS on the box or in the speedo on the dash you may well be able to connect directly to it ah forget that you are going from carby so its probably cable drive speedo anyway.kalmaker sell one VSS but they dont seem to be the most reliable ant has someone who does good ones phenix mechanical i think it is much more solid unit :mrgreen:
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Ok next question is how do you get your hand on the knock sensor filter? Was looking at $5D due to there being more documentation. How do you activate the Knock sensor code and where do you wire the knock sensor to?

Cheers
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the easiest place to get 4 cylinder filters is from the USA of something with a similar configuration and cylinder size IE 1.8 4 cylinder.you could get away with a commodore filter but it might not trigger at the right frequency.as for wiring its just one wire from the knock sensor to pin B11 on the ecu easy addition.dont wire a knock sensor and have it plugged in without a knock filter or run a knock filter without a knock sensor it does funny things :mrgreen: to activate the knock sensor just turn the ESC temp enable flag to 40 degrees it will be maxed out on the temp so it doesnt go on the non-knock sensor tunes. and you will need to turn the error code for it on too if you want it too show when the sensor is unplugged or not working
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

No 4 cylinders came out with knock filter boards here so you'll need to import one unfortunately. You should aim for one from an engine of the same capacity. They are not the most reliable at detecting knock and typically the ecu ignores the sensor above a certain RPM (where you probably need it more) so if its worth going to the trouble is up to you. I wonder how many people want them. I'd like to put one on my 4 cylinder, but am running OK without it currently.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

good when you get a bad batch of fuel and it starts to ping :mrgreen: or when the temp corrections in the tune need some work and you get a hot or cold day and the car pings.but if you dont go overboard on timing its fine not to run one.they pick up knock well before the human ear can here it too.and as ant said they normally turn off after 3500rpm as the engine gets to noisy and triggers the filter anyway.also good for when anything in the system has an error like the temp sensor fuel filter or pump sure saves a melt down of a piston.there is actually a chip out there that can be turned into a tunable knock filter so you can adjust frequency ranges to suit ill see if i can find the schematic and data sheet
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Main reason I'd like a knock sensor is I've already destroyed two engine (cracked ring lands) due to detonation and don't was to rebuild the engine again. Main reason due to I'm pushing the limits of cast piston but couldn't justify the expense of forged, plus the CR ratio was way too high been lower back down to 10.2:1. I'm currently running a Knock sensor through my ignition system so prefer to keep it just for peace of mind.

Just another thought I've currently have a Toyota knock sensor off a Rav 4 on the engine will the be ok with the Delco system?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the knock sensor is pretty much just a microphone but it depends what the knock filter thinks of its signal that will be the determining factor
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

Delcowizzid
That tunable knock sensor idea would probably be the best idea if it is possible as this engine is a noisy engine with two double row timing chains. Not sure that the EFI induction nose level will be but the Dual carbies make it hard to hear any pings from the drives seat.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Toyhicko,
If you use a knock sensor make sure you try to get one from an engine with the same or close bore size.
In most cases the knock frequency is related to the bore size and the sensor is designed around this frequency.