Couldnt really find a section for this..

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Couldnt really find a section for this..

Post by antus »

Yeah its not too easy. It is a little eeprom on the board, and if you do succeed in getting it if and can see the data, its not plan text or normal hex so you wont see it and then when you do know where it is, you need to figure out the checksums or else the dash will know its been changed and throw an error. Or use the VDO tool, but I dont know where or how to get that.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Streetholden
cars: VH, VK, VS, VU

Post by Streetholden »

Yea, iv heard about someone doing that, i believe he was on this forum, kept put FFFFFFF up or similar.
I have found plenty of VDO tools, but non for GM or Holden. And from the looks of them, most plug into the diagnostics plug where as i was just told the diagnostics plug doesnt interface with the dash.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I think the plug is on the edge of the dash circuit board.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

The forth plug in the dash? That goes to the BCM i believe and 2 wires to the ECU. If it does go through the diagnostics plug, i may have found something last night about it.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I dont know, i have only seen the high spec VN dash where it is a small connector with only a couple of pins in the center bottom. Im assuming later vdo is similar.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

This is the level 3 LCD unit. As pictured. The "4th plug" is the one on the bottom, not the ones on the back. This is a 20pin plug. 18 wires go to the BCM/dash harnes and 2 go to the PCM.

The1

Post by The1 »

i have resoldered over a new LCD Controler board before because one of the chips died and a whole lcd wouldn't work, so the info would be stored on the vdo chip in the top of that picture.
Streetholden

Post by Streetholden »

Yea i think it would be, no other decent sized chips. How ever i found this. No idea what it is or what it does. Maybe maybe you guys might?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

That connector looks about right. Whats the numbers on the 3 smallest chips across the top?
GM Tech

Post by GM Tech »

I used to have access to this tool and it plugs into the cluster. It had 3 pins on it and once plugged in, used to display the klms from the cluster onto the unit. It had three buttons and you could select which digit you wanted to change and then use the other two for and up and down function, takes seconds to do.