Dry Solder Joint

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
jacomms
cars: Commodore's .....what else?? :-)

Dry Solder Joint

Post by jacomms »

So I get a phone call from the old man.....come out to the workshop tommorow and fix a coustomers car .....HZ with VR V6 & Auto .....std memcal with No VATS and No DTC 68 ....

Got Out there had a lil chat then into it.....Ign on...fans running flat out .....1st up ...limp mode......so i grab the tech-1 slot in the VR cartrige with no joy......no BCM install so Tech 1 wont talk .....so ols school flash codes it is.......got a 12 and a 51 .... (strange how the $11 code says......hay nothing wrong with me ...then ohh hang on you have a broken memcal also) pulled out the memcal ....it was one I did about 5 + years ago ......had a dry solder joint.....easy fix....sloted it back in and all was good ...or so i thought. Test drive around the good old circuit from when i was fresh on the tools.....(hahahaha that was a while ago now) then random gear changes .....heaps of fun ummmmm.... so i was after the quick fix .......threw another PCM in and sloted in the memcal i just repaired and the thing was sweet..... the one tonner was a farm ute and travels a rough road all the time ..who ever mounted the PCM didnt mount it to well....each bump it hit the PCM bumped then banged against the glove box and rattled to death......poped a lil bit of soft foam and a tighten up of the mounting screws.....customer happy.... funny how the small things can make such a big differance on a enging conversion.... oh well its all part of the fun :-)

Justin
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Re: Dry Solder Joint

Post by monaro308 »

I had the same problem as you jacomms with the tech1 ...no BCM install.
As most conversions won't have the BCM i had a low level BCM sitting around and made a patch loom from the ALDL plug
and BCM...it was only 4 wires i think and the tech1 fired up in the munro aok.
Good to have the patch BCM for the conversions and the use of tech 1 as i know you do/know a lot more than i do using it only on my munro.
cheers :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

having never seen nor used a Tech1 ... what are the advantages of it over say a laptop and scanner pro ????

i can see all engine sensors, status flags and DTCs in scanner pro ... is there anything more the Tech1 can do/show other than that ?
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

Reset ABS,SRS, enable/disable BCM functions.

Dave.
jacomms
cars: Commodore's .....what else?? :-)

Post by jacomms »

Prog Ign keys, 1 person ABS fluid flush, test BCM aux functions, cylinder kill & power balance testing .....it just depends on the system its used with ....a nice function of the tech 2 is in the body control / dash ....you can enable "Police Mode" ....this basicly gives you a Digital speedo feture on the trip computer as an extra function.....cute as ....but thats only from VT onwards....tech 2 will also reflash memcal less PCM's ....as long as you have TIS cd and hardware key too. But in saying how good they are.....they are only for the GM stuff, in a workshop its far far better to have a universal tool that covers 99% of the cars and 99% of the options than 1 or 2 tools that only cover GM stuff....but still....VERY NICE!

Justin
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

jacomms wrote:a nice function of the tech 2 is in the body control / dash ....you can enable "Police Mode" ....this basicly gives you a Digital speedo feture on the trip computer as an extra function.....cute as ....but thats only from VT onwards....
its a standard dash mode on the VZ :punk: i don't use it often but Marie loves it ....

it sounds like the tech 2 features would be handy to have sometimes, ie. keys!
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

Don't forget also that annoying seatbelt warning beeper which can be turned off too!

Dave.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

where can I get my hands on one of these for a day? !