VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Hand made Stuff

Post by vlad01 »

ah yep, that looks right.

oh yeah it does say 3mm if you look real hard :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Just noticed this thread, figured I'd bore you with some junk I've put together.

Around 06ish I'd perfected a stommy to deliver meth, to the point where it started & drove as good as a std petrol carb,
though I couldn't keep the fuel up to it after the 4 grand mark in revs, depending on whether I stepped on it, or crept into the
throttle, so I made my own HV fuel pump out of a solid piece bronze billet, utilizing only the lower section of the STD pump,
though I angle milled the face so the top was machined more then the lower section, giving me more diaphragm throw, seeing
I'd worked out that I'd had some throw that wasn't being utilized anyway.
When I 1st fired the motor up that had the pump on it, the fuel pressure guage maxed past the 15lb scale it had, so I borrowed
a mates fuel injection pressure guage, ended up making 30lbs pressure, a volume test showed it flowed 2 litres / 30 sec @3000rpm.
I separated the STD diaphragm off the STD shaft it was pressed on, & made my own pull shaft out of 4140, slightly shorter,
& made it so it held the diaphragm on using a 316 1/4" flat allen head bolt & made some 316 stainless washers to use either
side of the diaphragm.
The valves are made from phenolic resin {blank sections cut out of old motherboards}(stop laughing) & held in through the
center using a 316 stainless screw & held in place with fine wound brass springs.
I've got spare valves in my glovebox in case they ever fail, though the only thing I've found to wear out after the 1st 5 years
of running it was the push arm that rubs on the cam, even though the cam lobe is perfect...

Image Image Image

Image Image

I'm currently making an X2 manifold for the torry, seems nobody makes one for a blue motor.

Just this week I converted overhead cam rocker arms that had hydraulic lifters in the arm, to solid adjustable arms, for a 125ci
polaris motor, I'd done the mod before for a 4.0L AU Ford engine for speedway.
I pulled the swivel & cage off the STD hydraulic lifters, made new adjustable studs out of 4140, making sure that when I press
the old lifter swivel & cage over the new stud, I could swage the back edge of the cage over the stud to stop it from falling off.
I made a threaded sleeve out of 4140 too, & pressed it into the area where the old lifter used to reside, though only after machining
a step into that area so the sleeve mouted far enough up into the rocker arm, allowing for a variety of cam lifts.

Image Image Image

Image Image

I also designed & manufactured my own metering blocks for the Holley carb, one Holey carb of which was scrapped by Holley, the
screamin eagle for the Harley, I've got it to start & run probably better than anything else on the market, to the point
where the plugs can be pulled after a dyno run or just street driven, & they look near brand new, no carbon fouling as
most seem to do on the rear plug, (on the evo motor)

Image Image Image
Last edited by Ken on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I got asked to make the chokes work on a ladies HR with Su's on it earlier on in the year, this is what I came up with in a day, quick-n-dirty but did the job.

Image Image Image

Been selling my own version of the X2 twin carb linkage set through american autos since 1988/9 ish, still do for other clients,
someone wanted a polished set, no chokes, & the option to run a pcv earlier this year, & run a STD link off the firewall, this was
the result..

Image Image Image

I don't just play with sixes though, V8's would be the majority of engine rebuilds & tunes, just never bothered taking pics of
most of them...

I make my own guide plates for the holden inline 6's too, out of silversteel, seem to last forever, I've been using my 1st
set since 95, rebuilt the motor once, freshened it up once, both times the manley hardened push rods & guide plates
just had polish marks on them, no visible wear.

Early 90's I seemed to be getting a sudden surge of people telling me that even though thier cars made good power on the dyno,
they weren't top ending as good as before the tuning of thier cars, some of which became worse when giving it more jet at the track,
& since I was convinced that many of them didn't have the fuel system that was good enough to keep up, I modified a pair of Holley
fuel bowls & added a series of contacts inside that allowed me to monitor the float level whilst racing, making the last led on the
bottom of the row, a flashing led, the main power led is in parallel with the power supply to the rest of the led's so no internal sparking
when the arm travelled from one contact to the next, plus the charger plug on the side also had an led plugged into it for insurance.
Proved to be a good thing to have made, after having them argue that thier system had been there for years, & had no problem before the tune.

Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

geez sounds like you've had a bit of fun playing with carbys in your time :)
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Thats some very nice fab work Ken :thumbup:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Holden202T wrote:geez sounds like you've had a bit of fun playing with carbys in your time :)
I still do, it's still my main form of income. It was my son that convinced me to start playing around with his injection after he found this place,
though he's hinted a couple of times of rebuilding his motor & running it with a carb & new manifold, {though technically illegal}.
I'd rather leave it injected & gain some tuning knowlege on his car, having to learn how to is inevitable if I intend to stay in the line of work I do I'm thinking.

VL400 wrote:Thats some very nice fab work Ken :thumbup:
Thanks. :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Yeah definitely the way things are going, and from my experience with 202's and efi, it's chalk and cheese compared to a carby :)
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

if you can do the above with carbies youll do miricles with efi LOL.some nice fab work there i love design and manufacturing type engineering of one off peices i used to work in the same kind of industry for a while where people would come to my boss for one off engineering jobs to solve problems where people didnt have an off the shelf solution
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Ken

Post by Ken »

Was just deleting pics off the camera to make room on the sd card in it, still had pics from the manifold for the blue / black six I'd originally posted in the posts above, though it looks like the attachments in those posts have vaporized..
I posted above the start of the job..
There's a fully welded triangle behind the middle runners which keeps all runner volume & lengths equal leading up to the carbs..
Here it is finished:-
BlueMotorTwins.jpg
BlueMotorTwins.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

blue/black varajet manifold cut and shut i assume ? looks pretty cool :)