So i have a crazy idea

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

So i have a crazy idea

Post by Tre-Cool »

Something I've been wanting to do for a while is transplant a 6lt with e38 ecu and t43 (6 speed auto) with some form of tapshift into a VU/VY ute, All the while keeping the factory dash still functioning, mainly coolant temp/speedo/tacho.

The base car would already be a v8, so physically fitting the engine/trans wont be an issue.

Now trying to get a hold of a vz dash harness etc that came out with an e38 would be the easy way to go, albeit expensive due to the low number of 6lt vz's actually made/wrecked. I reckon I could come up with something like below.

Base car = vu ss ute, remove ls1 harness
convert vz e38/t42 engine harness to suit t43
build new harness that plugs into the old vu body harness on drivers side of engine bay (pinouts are easily available for these) to/from.
using a vz v6 pim it should be able to convert the CAN data to the old ALDL network (Primary UART) to bcm, which leaves the 2ndary and tertiary for the dash cluster, abs module etc
vz-pim-interface.png
vz-pim-interface.png (27.52 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
Anyone done anything similar? my main area of concern is really just the data conversion from CAN to UART. I figure holden had to dumb things down enough to keep the old dash clusters working with out spending a whole lot of coin. I also think I might have better luck with a vy based model, but changing out from vu to vy dash loom isn't hard to do either.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: So i have a crazy idea

Post by Tazzi »

If using E38, Id say stick with VZ parts.

It should all work, from the testing Iv done with the cluster, BCM, PIM and ECU on bench, you should be all sweet!
I think the PIM can be reconfigured if memory serves me correctly.. I recall seeing the option. Should be able to turn a VZ V6 pim to a V8 configuration.

All the PIM is doing, is grabbing the data that is sent from the ECU, reformatting it and injecting into the ALDL bus. This keeps the cluster happy and displaying the correct info.

The pic above shows everything feeding into the BCM.. although Im not so certain thats what happens? I know its the ALDL "Bus master", but all modules communicate freely even if the BCM is unplugged, they are all hooked up to the same ALDL wire and not just fed into the BCM module from what I understand.

Keen to see how this gets on!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I dont think the 6L dash is any different to the 5.7, as you say the pim does the translation. if its not the right config (airbags etc) you might need to calibrate the dash, tazzi would know more about your options here.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

Tazzi wrote:If using E38, Id say stick with VZ parts.

It should all work, from the testing Iv done with the cluster, BCM, PIM and ECU on bench, you should be all sweet!
I think the PIM can be reconfigured if memory serves me correctly.. I recall seeing the option. Should be able to turn a VZ V6 pim to a V8 configuration.

All the PIM is doing, is grabbing the data that is sent from the ECU, reformatting it and injecting into the ALDL bus. This keeps the cluster happy and displaying the correct info.

The pic above shows everything feeding into the BCM.. although Im not so certain thats what happens? I know its the ALDL "Bus master", but all modules communicate freely even if the BCM is unplugged, they are all hooked up to the same ALDL wire and not just fed into the BCM module from what I understand.

Keen to see how this gets on!

yeah you are right with the bcm aldl wiring. it;'s just 1 wire that goes to a couple of different devices.

I've wired up 2 drag cars now with a vy bcm/pim and cluster. it's all pretty simple which is why I reakon it's do-able.

I'm away this week so when I get back to perth this weekend plan is to try and pickup a vz shell with all the dash wiring and shit still intact and go from there.

what would be really nice would be to have the tapshift steering wheel and see if that could control the tapshift on the 6l80 too
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

So updating an old thread coz i've only just got my own vy ute temporarily wired up.

I haven't got the motor running yet as i will pull the wiring back out to tidy up. have a few small issues so far but shouldn't be too hard to fix.

1) Throttle pedal isn't getting detected on e38, so i might need to try another pedal/wiring pin outs.
2) Dash cluster is not picking up ECT from ecu, i suspect this might be due to the v6 config in the pim.

Can bus wiring goes from obdi plug to PIM. From Pim it goes to T43 (trans) controller then to E38 (engine) and i can read/program/log both fine.

Trans fits in the tunnel with plenty of room to clear. using a stock 4 speed shifter but 4l60 linkage is too short. I'll need to find the original 6l80e one to see if that reaches.
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

so I got pedal & everything working. turns out I missed a power wire to the ecu. my bad.

I was logging the ecu and had working pedal position but the throttle blade wouldn't move.

I also got the engine temp to come up on the vy s2 dash cluster I have in my ute too but noticed it was reading really high, possibility it's just a wiring issue still.

Any of the resident experts know if the vy to vz data for ect would be interpreted differently?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I know it is calibration item in the dash, but not sure of how or why you'd need to change it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Tre-Cool wrote:so I got pedal & everything working. turns out I missed a power wire to the ecu. my bad.

I was logging the ecu and had working pedal position but the throttle blade wouldn't move.

I also got the engine temp to come up on the vy s2 dash cluster I have in my ute too but noticed it was reading really high, possibility it's just a wiring issue still.

Any of the resident experts know if the vy to vz data for ect would be interpreted differently?
Right.. can you open up the temp reading in the VY cluster? Go to engineer mode (mode+Set and ignition on) and scroll to find coolant temp.
Then grab the engine temp recorded from the ECM.. check if they match.

If they match, then that eliminates a conversion issue from CAN to uart.
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

i was using the engineering mode when i seen the 212c temp on the dash. ecu was only 23ish as it was room temp only.

I've sent harness off to a mate to do some tidying up for me. so he will no doubt test it out along with some other things for me.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Tre-Cool wrote:i was using the engineering mode when i seen the 212c temp on the dash. ecu was only 23ish as it was room temp only.

I've sent harness off to a mate to do some tidying up for me. so he will no doubt test it out along with some other things for me.
212!!!! :shock:

Yeah, sounds like a CAN to uart conversion issue going on there.