vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Interesting youtube video's...

Post by vlad01 »

I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Hmmm, very interesting

Great video find there Vlad :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

So basically near pure to pure ethanol is actually best for the engine. I knew it had negligible wear but never knew it was better than petrol, which is contrary to urban sayings on the matter.

E85 ftw!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Now only if they would put e85 pumps here in perth or wa just trying to find an e10 pump is almost impossible
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They seem to have their locations all wrong, they supply it where hardly anyone would use it.

I had to get mine from Port Melbourne where hardly any users of it live, it's just wharf and apartments there and truck depots . Yet you go to servos near raceways and they don't have it, go figure!
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

There’s only about 6 places in Perth that sell it and only one is south of the river luckily only 10mins from my place the rest are north of the river and surprisingly not hours away from wannaroo raceway. But it’s expensive 179.9 a litre from United you would think being a byproduct of decomposing waste it would be relatively cheap they do brand it as “race fuel” though
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

weird, united sold it at the same price as E10 here last time I used it. Nothing about labeled as race fuel as I recall either?

It's not really a byproduct here in Aus, there is a specific company that produces nothing but fuel ethanol from grain here, not like in the states or other countries where it's bio waste reprocessing.

That is part of the reason why our E85 is high quality and doesn't smell like ass. I personally like the scotch like sweet smell. Apparently in other counties it smells like compost or decaying food/landfill lol
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:So basically near pure to pure ethanol is actually best for the engine. I knew it had negligible wear but never knew it was better than petrol, which is contrary to urban sayings on the matter.

E85 ftw!
!00% correct Vlad. However, when you look at the older vehicles the supporting fuel system is what suffers, generally because of the corrosive factor. Even e10 can cause issues with the supply systems, but if normal running is experience some of these are not seen. Above all you need to make sure if you are parking the car for a time you remove the ethanol based fuel. Also know is the damage that methanol can do to your engine so it is not a surprise the wear factor for that fuel.

I am starting to see more carby rebuild kits that feature ethonal safe gaskets etc so times are slowly changing.

Even though I can distill approx E97 (some water content is unavoidable) I am not permitted to use this in a combustion engine due to the no seen flame issues. This is why you can only get E85 as it needs to be denatured with unleaded to allow a flame to be seen. It is highly dangerous not to do so and even illegal if you happen to not denature it.

Oh and yes I am allowed to distill my own fuel, I am licensed (which is free) but the hoops you need to jump through to get it are amazing. No I cannot sell you any it is part of my license restrictions.

Ethonal is great with the engine but the supporting system seem to be where the failures are.

cheers
oldn64
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

I was looking into this at one point of brewing my own fuel but never got any further than thinking about it where did you find the info?
I was wondering about that with the smell watching tv shows everyone says ethanol smells like crap but I always thought it smelt pretty good especially after burning :driving:
Saying that I have a mate that runs around town collecting fish and chip oil cleans it and runs it in his triton sucks being stuck behind him get hungry as and suddenly get the urge for fish and chips every time
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Dazza92VP wrote:I was looking into this at one point of brewing my own fuel but never got any further than thinking about it where did you find the info?
I was wondering about that with the smell watching tv shows everyone says ethanol smells like crap but I always thought it smelt pretty good especially after burning :driving:
Saying that I have a mate that runs around town collecting fish and chip oil cleans it and runs it in his triton sucks being stuck behind him get hungry as and suddenly get the urge for fish and chips every time
Let me dig up the information for you Dazza92VP. I have it saved at home somewhere. The license came from WA and there is no inspection needed. You will need to submit your plans for the license to be granted. I use large quantities of molasses to brew the sugar content. I have a bath which I use to keep the brew at a more consistent temperature to not kill the yeast and let it brew for about 3 weeks. I make approximately 200L at a time. The water comes from the top of the roof of the garage so free and to get the brew off costs about 56c per litre. Then I have to purchase 25 litres unleaded to denature the lot and we are good to go.

Smells lovely when doing it.... just dont drink the stuff. While yes technically this is the base of scotch or whisky etc, due to the nature of it and purity it will kill you quickly. The bonus whihc no one will tell you is that once you have the still assembled you do nto need to bring it down because you have a fuel license (means when i do scotch whisky or rum i do not need to worry about the size etc because of my fuel license... ;)

Cheers
oldn64

PS: I am working on using used oil for my pajero instead of F&C oil. Used motor oil with the impurities removed works far better than F&C and does not product too much smoke unless you WOT whihc under normal driving you would not do. Considering the Pajero is approx 14L per 100 and pushing about 600Nm. :D not bad from 2800cc