Interesting youtube video's...

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Ken

Re: Interesting youtube video's...

Post by Ken »

I also didn't like the fact that when searching for a modded bios with oem slp info added to it, Google themselves popped up reminding me of the fact that the google fuhrer was watching and keeping tabs on what I do, that's gotta be a red flag if I ever needed one.
I couldn't close that page via the closing X either, until I scrolled the privacy policy and agreed to being raped.
WTF_Privacy.PNG
WTF_Privacy.PNG (54.13 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It is last decade though. Was really high end back in 2011 or so. My 2003 PC had 16GB though :shh:

I am still waiting for ram to drop as the 32GB kit I want is like 750-900 bucks (4-5x normal price). I priced up my upgrade I want and it came up to 5-6k. PC parts are really badly priced atm. RAM and GPUs being the majority of the issue. The new 2080Ti is 2200 bucks ! Good main board is like 450 bucks too. Only good value parts atm is the AMD Ryzen CPUs but they need fast expensive RAM to get the most out of them so you have to cop that.

If you are hell bent on an Intel system, sucks to be you. more or less the same speed for 30-50% more price :lol: :comp: They have a shortage due to 4 year node shrink delay and possibly a complete failure so prices have gone up even more for those as they move products back to 14 and 22nm and outsource.

If that is bad enough the US has put like 20% tariffs on all china electronics which is basically every PC part and the other counties will probably use this to justify an uncalled for price hike as well. PCs now are the most expensive they have been in 25-30 years with the slowest growth in performance seen in about a decade.

Upgrading is basically out of the question for the last 2 years and foreseeable future, unless you have several k to burn on a PC that otherwise might be 2k in real world money.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

speaking of 32g... this is my 4 year old daily I spend 8 hours a day at... sounds like itll be my clunker for another few years yet at current prices :P
ram.PNG
ram.PNG (36.24 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Pretty much, even your CPU is not much slower than intel 8th gen as they have made no effort to innovate in the last several years, but you sure need a new board for every "new" gen that is on the same socket lol. bloody assholes.

Yeah ram was cheap 4 years ago. The 3 manufactures are price fixing and the china government is investigating them all for this. I remember 32 gigs was like 250 bucks and now it's noth of 500 for a basic kit, good ones getting over 750.

GPUs at least from nvidia are double the last gen in price even though mining is long gone now. Only cheap or steady price part now is AMD cpus which for the most part have overtaken in general performance. CPUs are just about the cheapest part now and cases too lol. Even storage drives aren't cheap as it's mostly MVMe type now. 500+ for 1Tb for a good model. At least they are fast moving 3GB/s on average. If AMD bring out a competitive GPU next year then at least I will only have to cop it on RAM and storage.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I might be sold on FF, have been running it along Chrome and FF seems to behave better. Running video at 1080p HD on youtube no problem :)

Now I have to move all my bookmarks etc over....
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I've used most of them and ff for the longest out of all of the main ones, since beta 0.7 in fact :thumbup: 2003 was the year.

Opera is also pretty good.

There was a stage a few years ago chrome was a bit better than ff but it was short lived as ff overtook while chrome has been stuck in it's old ways for years now.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Best get this thread back on track.

...and this is what the MCM boys were building the HQ for,

And a nice little cameo towards the end as well :)
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Except I couldn't get the penrite oils I needed from there. Had to go to repco :lol:
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:It is last decade though. Was really high end back in 2011 or so. My 2003 PC had 16GB though :shh:

I am still waiting for ram to drop as the 32GB kit I want is like 750-900 bucks (4-5x normal price). I priced up my upgrade I want and it came up to 5-6k. PC parts are really badly priced atm. RAM and GPUs being the majority of the issue. The new 2080Ti is 2200 bucks ! Good main board is like 450 bucks too. Only good value parts atm is the AMD Ryzen CPUs but they need fast expensive RAM to get the most out of them so you have to cop that.

If you are hell bent on an Intel system, sucks to be you. more or less the same speed for 30-50% more price :lol: :comp: They have a shortage due to 4 year node shrink delay and possibly a complete failure so prices have gone up even more for those as they move products back to 14 and 22nm and outsource.

If that is bad enough the US has put like 20% tariffs on all china electronics which is basically every PC part and the other counties will probably use this to justify an uncalled for price hike as well. PCs now are the most expensive they have been in 25-30 years with the slowest growth in performance seen in about a decade.

Upgrading is basically out of the question for the last 2 years and foreseeable future, unless you have several k to burn on a PC that otherwise might be 2k in real world money.
Hey Vlad, While I do agree with most of what you have said here, there is a small issue with the ryzens where the intel gen8 will outperform within the gaming arena. Remember the gen8 was intels answer for the ryzen but it is worth the extra 30%, well honestly like you not a huge amount. I do nto see the point of upgrading from a gen7 or even a gen 6 as the cost is prohibative due to teh need to change the motherboard, cpu and the memory, at that point the only other replacements worth money are the power supply and video card too whihc you then would be better buying a complete new machine not just upgrade your old.

From a business perspective there is no money in hardware at all. In fact often my supplier has the same price as most of the other retailers around. it is very hard to make a living from system builds these days and i am almost not interested. It is very upsetting the way this has gone but no real point complaining about it. I used to build systems at least twice a week. Nowadays I would be lucky to see a system to build once every two months. Times have changed.

cheers
oldn64
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

depends on your requirements i suppose.
do agree, not in a place to upgrade as its not just CPU, its ram, CPU and board.
from a gaming perspective most of the workload is offloaded to the GPU so theres merit in seeing whether a new you beaut GTX1080 or something from the AMD camp is viable? my son is beating me over the head wanting an i7 and > 16GB of RAM, when i show him the workload stats of his games (albeit he is running an R9 290) he quiets down, OK he can't run games in full mode with no AA and all that bullshit but for what he needs its good gear, and only an i5 (i think its an 1155 series)
my main PC is an old HP these days. its got dual xeons and 16GB of ram, xw6600 running OSX 10.10.5, with 250GB SSD. graphics are pretty underrated but my requirement is HL2 and it does that just fine. i do have a GTX750 to chuck in it which will wake it up from a GPU perspective but i have to re-hackintosh it which is a royal PITA - it was hard enough to get where it is now.

CPU wise ; they have peaked ; most enterprise grade apps i see these days need IOPS or memory and not cycles. if i wanted cycles i'd lease cloud TBH and use spot, but thats a different discussion altogether.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.