vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by vlad01 »

Probably not, I would look at ARP for the bolts from their jobber kit range, they should have bolts to spec and you can go for the SS ones to prevent rusting them ever again.

For the V6 you can get new bolts now. Dorman starting making them about 2 years ago after they became NLA from GM USA. Not that it's an issue for me, I stocked up on all engine bolts new from GM 5 years ago. Glad I did :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

A little progress today, ripped out the old radiator and started fitting the thermofan on the new one. Top mounting bolts are easy but the lowers are about 15mm off where they ideally need to be. Not sure yet how I'm going to solve that one but most likely I'm going to have to carefully cut out the lower edge and then put a thin alloy sheet to make up the gap to the lower piece.
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-18 at 3.05.54 PM.jpeg
Removed the alternator and started stripping back the wiring loom for the alternator and starter. That end shouldn't be to bad to sort, I'll run the loom under the trans cooler lines and oil pump and just cable tie in place, on the other side the loom will sit behind the AC pump bracket so really it should be well clear of the balancer. The biggest headache is remounting the main earth cable which used to be on the PS pump bracket. There is a threaded boss on the side of the block, just behind the PS pump that may be a good substitute location. Will need to remove the PS pump again to sort that.
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-18 at 3.04.49 PM.jpeg
vlad01 wrote:Probably not, I would look at ARP for the bolts from their jobber kit range, they should have bolts to spec and you can go for the SS ones to prevent rusting them ever again.
That's what surprises me, 308/304 has been a popular platform for modification for decades and water pumps are common enough it's suprising no one does a bolt kit to suit.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote:That's what surprises me, 308/304 has been a popular platform for modification for decades and water pumps are common enough it's suprising no one does a bolt kit to suit.
It is not too suprising, while it is popular there has been no real need to change it. It also has taken a huge back seat once the ls1/2/3 became an option for retro fit. The poor 304/308 now is a dinosaur and fear parts will actually start to get harder to obtain soon.

Really sad :(

Cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Spent a bit more time on it this evening. Pulled the PS pump out again, than carefully unwrapped the loom trying not to damage the convoluded split tubing and pulled the main earth cable out.
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-18 at 6.08.23 PM.jpeg
And I think this will be it's new home. I think I will add some heat sleaving on the cable as it is a little close to the headers.
WhatsApp Image 2018-07-18 at 6.08.00 PM.jpeg
Before final fitment I'll chase the thread, clean the block and use some heavy duty lock washers to ensure a good earth.

oldn64 wrote:
immortality wrote:That's what surprises me, 308/304 has been a popular platform for modification for decades and water pumps are common enough it's suprising no one does a bolt kit to suit.
It is not too suprising, while it is popular there has been no real need to change it. It also has taken a huge back seat once the ls1/2/3 became an option for retro fit. The poor 304/308 now is a dinosaur and fear parts will actually start to get harder to obtain soon.

Really sad :(

Cheers
oldn64
It's not so much the need to change it but a lot of the time when you pull and old engine apart the pump bolts are badly corroded. I can get standard hex bolts or cap screws easy enough but the factory style bolt with the splayed head not so much :(

I don't think parts will start to get harder yet. Edelbrock have come into the market big time in the last 12 months, first the airgap dual plane, then alloy heads followed up by the Victor Junior high rise single and I'm sure I heard somewhere they are coming out with another head with larger cast runners. There is hope yet :)
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Immortality,

Run the earth under the aircon pum and up the side, this way the aircon will act sort of like a heat shield and then also make the cabling look neater.

I really want to make a 308 into the vl racecar but it make the thing live for long periods and keep up with the ls3 guys I will need to do some serious mods etc. Even LP is not to confident that the old 308 has the required neddies to kick some chev butt, and I hold his engineering is great regard.

Cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, that's basically the plan, the main loom will dive under the AC pump and the earth will run up to the earth point. I was just unwrapping and laying out loosly for starters :)

edit: One thing that is bugging me is the size of the cables. I've upgraded the alternator to the VT 120amp unit but in all reality I don't think the cables are big enough for the original 85amp one.
Last edited by immortality on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

SWEET! :thumbup:

another thing is you can hide the wiring along the kframe if you take your time. this will blend it and nobody will know it is there :)

Cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Well another success full day at work yesterday.

Engineers were cleaning up after a press removal/install. Scored 2x 6' fluoro battens with daylight tubes for the garage and a piece of 2mm wall 100x25mm alloy box extrude which will be perfect to remake the fuel rail mounting brackets and finish off the thermfan install on the radiator.

Working nights this week but hopefully have the radiator refitted and the wiring loom finished and refitted. Then we can look at sorting the PS.
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

immortality

Post by immortality »

Cheers.

I'm gonna talk to my local speed supplier first, he stocks ARP so he might be able to put something together for me.