Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by oldn64 »

I know exactly what you mean immortality, my misses drives my car "because I will speed and loose my license" (VE S2 SS manual wagon) but she constantly "cleans out the boot" so when we go to her mothers to pickup hay and their trailer on the whim, i find no spare tire or the tow hitch.... GRRRRRRR.

Why can you not relocate the panel to the side near the rear taillight this will move it out of the way of the hinge and also keep it protected from shopping hitting the bottle.

Bike looks good. :thumbup: I have just been roped into going on bike hike with my Step daughter (11). It is approx 200klms in three days. I have not been on my bike for 2.5 years and i am concerned that the kids will just stop in front of me. Not very fun when this happens as trying to unclip in a panic usually results in you falling over with the bike. Might have to change my pedals to normal ones but I fear that this will be counter productive and make me work harder on the bike.

Cheers
oldn64
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Not much happening. Still got my subaru headache to sort...

On a positive note. The clock on the radio in the Calais is now keeping time ever since the alternator change. Previously is would slowly get behind and also the Trans seems to be shifting smoother? Really seems rather strange, the new alternator has only really raised the system voltage a touch. On the dash I'm now seeing about 0.2 - 0.3v more in diagnostic mode and getting a genuine 14.4 volts across the battery☺

oldn64 wrote:I know exactly what you mean immortality, my misses drives my car "because I will speed and loose my license" (VE S2 SS manual wagon) but she constantly "cleans out the boot" so when we go to her mothers to pickup hay and their trailer on the whim, i find no spare tire or the tow hitch.... GRRRRRRR.

Why can you not relocate the panel to the side near the rear taillight this will move it out of the way of the hinge and also keep it protected from shopping hitting the bottle.

Bike looks good. :thumbup: I have just been roped into going on bike hike with my Step daughter (11). It is approx 200klms in three days. I have not been on my bike for 2.5 years and i am concerned that the kids will just stop in front of me. Not very fun when this happens as trying to unclip in a panic usually results in you falling over with the bike. Might have to change my pedals to normal ones but I fear that this will be counter productive and make me work harder on the bike.

Cheers
oldn64
Woman and cleaning..... I can never find my shit anywhere once she's cleaned and tidied....

Hope the ride went well.

On my new old bike I'm doing the same rides as before in less time and what feels like less effort.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Finally got around to fixing a seatbelt issue on the Calais. Turns out apparently it's a common fault for the seatbelt to stop retracting without some help which is a really easy fix, unfortunately the return spring ended been broken too so had to get another unit. Then the weather turned to shit so I finished off the job this morning, just need to replace one tail light bulb and it's ready for a new WOF.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote:Finally got around to fixing a seatbelt issue on the Calais. Turns out apparently it's a common fault for the seatbelt to stop retracting without some help which is a really easy fix, unfortunately the return spring ended been broken too so had to get another unit. Then the weather turned to shit so I finished off the job this morning, just need to replace one tail light bulb and it's ready for a new WOF.
Hello immortality,

Just sent you a pm on this one. You might be interested in.

cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Ok, back to the Subaru headache...

Pulled the O2 sensor on the other bank and it looks the same.... Maybe that is not the problem?

Put the O2 sensors back and fire it up, seemed to pop twice but idling fine although is smells rich...

Start pulling plugs in the drivers side, first plug was only just nipped up (strange as it felt tight all the way in when fitting new). Could a loose or lightly nipped up plug cause poor running? (never had an issue with this before). Other 2 plugs are the same (lightly nipped up).

Pulled the middle cylinder first, plug is soot black although does seem to be firing, pulled the front plug and it looks brand new, pulled the back plug and it's also soot black but does look to be firing.

About to start on the other bank when the weather sets in. Expecting to find all the plugs lightly nipped up too :(
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote:Ok, back to the Subaru headache...

Pulled the O2 sensor on the other bank and it looks the same.... Maybe that is not the problem?

Put the O2 sensors back and fire it up, seemed to pop twice but idling fine although is smells rich...

Start pulling plugs in the drivers side, first plug was only just nipped up (strange as it felt tight all the way in when fitting new). Could a loose or lightly nipped up plug cause poor running? (never had an issue with this before). Other 2 plugs are the same (lightly nipped up).

Pulled the middle cylinder first, plug is soot black although does seem to be firing, pulled the front plug and it looks brand new, pulled the back plug and it's also soot black but does look to be firing.

About to start on the other bank when the weather sets in. Expecting to find all the plugs lightly nipped up too :(
I know this might be a little bit of a bum steer BUT I had a mates VE commodore do similar things whihc we chased for ages. Everyone kept telling him it was the chains yet there were no codes for chains and when I measured the chains they had not moved since we installed them 6 months prior. Long story short it would enter limp mode but not through a code. completely down on power and was terrible to drive. After some serious diagnostics it was found that the passenger side bank cat was blocked because of the richness the fuel has destroyed the cat and it was not flowing very well at all, resulting in uping the fuel to that bank. I would check the cat just to be safe as it drove us nuts for some months to try and sort it. Bloody weird problem.

Cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

I could swear the Calais is cursed, almost everytime it is due for a WOF lights start to fail. I knew one from park light was out and then yesterday when I drove it the passenger side head light was out too. Picked up some bulbs today and decided to grab 2 front park light bulbs which was fortunate because when I got home both were out....

oldn64 wrote:
immortality wrote:Ok, back to the Subaru headache...

I know this might be a little bit of a bum steer BUT I had a mates VE commodore do similar things whihc we chased for ages. Everyone kept telling him it was the chains yet there were no codes for chains and when I measured the chains they had not moved since we installed them 6 months prior. Long story short it would enter limp mode but not through a code. completely down on power and was terrible to drive. After some serious diagnostics it was found that the passenger side bank cat was blocked because of the richness the fuel has destroyed the cat and it was not flowing very well at all, resulting in uping the fuel to that bank. I would check the cat just to be safe as it drove us nuts for some months to try and sort it. Bloody weird problem.

Cheers
oldn64
Hi Mate,

Yes, melting the CAT with to much fuel is in the back of my mind. fortunately the car hasn't been driven much since the plug change and the problems occured. I do have a thermal temp gun so measuring CAT temps front and back should give a good idea on how the CAT's are performing.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Your other thing is looking at the scanner and seeing what the swing on the front O2 sensor is doing verses the rear O2 sensor. This is what gave me enough of a concern to drop the cat in the first place.... Was not much but it definitely was different to the other side.

Cheers and good luck. (Subaru piece of garage mutter mutter grrrr grumble..)
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Unfortunately I don't have any gear to log the subaru (that would be too easy) so I'm doing this all old school...

Not sure what scanners work with the Subaru either, until the boy got this it's not something that has really interested me much.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Probably romraider and a tactrix openport 2.0 cable or there is some elm comparable software can post my openport clone if you want to try it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem