Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by immortality »

So the old girls out on a road trip starting today. We left this morning at about 7.30am, ambient temp about 12°C and drove from Auckland to Hamilton (very moderate driving but with a full car (4 large(ish) adults and a boot full of luggage). Checked the blower on arrival and it was still almost cool, call it luke warm :)

Got a hot beverage and then continued onto Waitomo for lunch and some clay bird shooting 8-)

Checked the blower again on arrival still only luke warm. spent more time getting up it as we are taking the back roads, all windy up/down hills etc. Averaging about 10.9L/100km

Then continued on to Rotorua. On the way we stopped at the Mangakino damn where I checked the blower again and it still wasn't any hotter than before.
More spirited driving ;) definitely is happier at about 2000rpm cruising than 1700-1800rpm. Pulled into the hotel and checked the blower again and it's finally reasonably warm but not hot enough to burn your hand on it, ambient temps up to about 16°C. I had been getting up it not long before. Fuel average has increased a little to just over 11L/100km.

With the cooler blower and adding a about 1 degree of timing using the MAT sensor at lower air temps it cruises real nice, definitely needs some work up top and I'm still not 100% sure I'm seeing full boost ATM but I'm definitely happy with the spacer. It seems to me that when you get up it things still get hot as is expected when compressing air but now once you settle down the blower seems to be cooling down so I think that is a probable win.

Cruising at the slightly higher rpm instant fuel average is dropping well below 10l/100km even when going up a mild incline. These things definitely need some proper gears in the rear.

Now it's time for a nanna nap before heading off to the restaurant :)
immortality

Post by immortality »

Went out for a Jetboat ride this morning :)

And then we spent the afternoon up the mountain riding the Luge and then dinner :) Managed to get through the day with no major carnage, only 2 mildly crushed fingers for me when I ran out of brakes and took out a couple of tourists and a few scrapes on the oldest boy. Not a bad days work.

It gets even better. The dash trip computer is out, topped up the tank today and the trip comp says I've used 6 liters more than I actually put in the tank. These number were fairly spot on with the old injectors and even though the new injectors are rated at the same flow it looks like somethings changed?

Anyway, re-working the numbers to account of the 6 liters of fuel not used the average consumption drops from 11 to 9L/100km :)
immortality

Post by immortality »

Finally made it back home, before heading off we when for a ride on this nzjetboat.

Things were a bit warmer today and you can definitely feel it once everything has heat soaked. I can only imagine how an un-cooled L67 performs in Aussie with the much higher ambient temperatures :(

Anyway, as far as I can figure for the complete round trip it's averaged about 10L/100km which is not bad for my driving style.. On the way home other than it been a fair bit warmer I also had to contend with a lot more traffic which meant driving at less efficient speeds. Interestingly enough, cruising at about 90km/h with it in 3rd and converter locked it uses no more fuel than at 100km/h in 4th with the converter locked. Though for a minute mr plod was coming for me when a cop coming the other way did a U turn behind me but he pulled over the bright yellow Monaro that had caught up to me in a safe speed zone where the limit is set at 90km/h. Thankfully I had the cruise control set at just over 90km/h as it's a high frequency cop zone so I was playing it safe :mrgreen:

So I'm thinking that the spacer is doing a decent job at keeping the blower cool even when you get up it occasionally when cruising and there is plenty of cool air flowing through the bay . On the other hand when driving in a much more spirited style for extended periods and things tend to get hot (as expected) a secondary form of cooling is required and I'm thinking that water injection will be perfect to cool the boost charge.

First things first though is sort the diff and then add a few goodies to the trans as I don't think it's liking the extra power and my driving style :(
immortality

Post by immortality »

So it looks like it takes the engine bit longer to warm up in the morning. Generally speaking on a cold morning the engine temp would start to register on the temp gauge before I got to the 2nd set of lights on the way to work. This week the temp gauge was only just starting to register as I was pulling into the gate at work. It's not even really cold yet.
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

Post by L67PSI »

Are you using The1's enhanced bins?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Sure am :)

A 3.4" pulley with basic other bolt on mods exceeds the limitations of the stock tune.
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

immortality wrote:Just took the old girl out for a quick spin up the road, gave it a bit of a boot on the home stretch, she kicked down, you could feel the burst knock and as full timing came in it got up and went like stink. Definitely running better since I changed the LIM gaskets and changed over to the MAT sensor. No other changes have been made to the tune other than altering the spark ignition map to suit the MAT sensor.
Did you turn off burst knock?

So you changed from IAT to MAT? What did you tweak in the tune? Any advantage to doing this?

Will be interesting to see data log with LS1 maf :thumbup:
immortality

Post by immortality »

No, I've left burst knock alone.

To change to a MAT sensor I altered the Spark Correction Vs Inlet Air Temp Vs mgc and Supercharger - Boost Limit Vs Intake Air Temp Although if you have done the boost solenoid delete mod then the 2nd table won't have any effect anyway. The IAT sensor only measures the temp of the air entering the airbox which is fine for a n/a engine but on a boosted motor the air temp after the blower is much better to use to tune with.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Boost solenoid is to stop the supercharger oil from overheating from sustained high load operation at high intake temps.
Given your ambient temps and the insulator/spacer I don't think it is all that relevant.
I think the reasoning is that the ambient air helps to cool the supercharger which is heated by the engine (and compressed air obv.).
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

immortality wrote:No, I've left burst knock alone.

To change to a MAT sensor I altered the Spark Correction Vs Inlet Air Temp Vs mgc and Supercharger - Boost Limit Vs Intake Air Temp Although if you have done the boost solenoid delete mod then the 2nd table won't have any effect anyway. The IAT sensor only measures the temp of the air entering the airbox which is fine for a n/a engine but on a boosted motor the air temp after the blower is much better to use to tune with.

Sounds good. So you got a MAT sensor off a VN>VR V6, drilled and tapped thread into LIM? Did you use IAT harness cable and swap to MAT connector?