Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by immortality »

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind if we don't make any progress.

So today I finished pulling the rest of the plugs and this is what we have.
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-04 at 11.14.16 AM.jpeg
3 fouled plugs and 3 good plugs. All the plugs were barely nipped up? and they wound out a lot easier than last time (self cleaning plug threads... :mrgreen: )
Anyway, put all the plugs back, cleaned out the idle control and fired it up. She was missing a bit at the start but it cleared up and she didn't smell rich like before so I think we have made progress.

Now to try and clear the old codes and see what she does.

Took it for a thrash to get it nice and hot etc and it seems to be running ok.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I'd be comp testing it...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Good point, I recall the EZ were notorious for warping cylinders and open deck as the walls are very thin on them.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

The old plugs were badly worn but no signs of fouling like these. I'm hoping the fouling was caused by the plugs not been tightened correctly. I'll pull the plugs again to double check how they are running tomorrow.

The old plugs had some sort of antisieze on em but its really gummed up the threads in the block and fitting the new plugs was a pita. This time around they wound straight in could tell when they were seated and torqued up.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Subaru's are fucked up....

We're back to the thermostat fault, but....

Last night the car was idling then died. Tried to start but wouldn't turn over, tried again no go. Boy calls home, I get him to check a few things check battery connections and then get him to try again, starts perfect.

Checked it this morning, starts fine, pull battery terminals to ensure clean and tight (was all good but never hurts to double check), put key in ignition, deactivate alarm and I hear a weird ticking, almost certain it's a relay tick. Now to find the relays. Check under the bonnet, no efi relay, no fuel pump relay, no starter relay..... Check the dash fuse panel, no relays? Remove the panel and find a whole row of relays but nothing marked etc to show what is what? What clever dick came up with this fucking arrangement? Give me a Commodore any day.
Last edited by immortality on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Remove the panel and find a whole row or relays but nothing marked etc to show what is what? What clever dick came up with this fucking arrangement? Give me a Commodore any day.
Welcome to repairing most modern imported cars (to Australia that is) :thumbdown:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality

Post by immortality »

Onto a different issue. The Calais seems to be lacking traction and the rear end of the car seems to "float" (the best way I can describe it). Seeing as I've done the front struts recently I'm going to start by changing the rear shocks and I'm going to change the diff mount and see if that makes any difference.

Biggvl wrote:
Remove the panel and find a whole row or relays but nothing marked etc to show what is what? What clever dick came up with this fucking arrangement? Give me a Commodore any day.
Welcome to repairing most modern imported cars (to Australia that is) :thumbdown:
It seems like it if's not something simple they want you to take it to a stealership and get ripped...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's part of it, but it's just jap and Asian car maker mentality. Actually just about anything technological from those counties have little to no logic in their designs and are a nightmare in general, Japan especially.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Did the rear shocks on the Calais, the old ones athough not totally shot had definitely seen better days. Also changed the diff mount which turned into a PITA but it may also explain some of the strange behaviour in the car. I'm almost certain the rear subframe is out of alignment. But at least the rear end now feels a lot firmer.
0-02-07-6c2e481380d4585a10a5f64f332237f1e213bf15b7d3e9a6e4d97cc466c141a4_e9cdfb7a.jpg
The mount is as far back is it will go in the mounting slots, if you look at the bushes you can see the diff is pushing towards the back of the car and if you look very carefully you can see the passenger side is slightly further back than the drivers side :(

I'm thinking maybe the front subframe bushes need replacement ASAP. Then to figure out how to get the whole subframe back into alignment.

vlad01 wrote:That's part of it, but it's just jap and Asian car maker mentality. Actually just about anything technological from those counties have little to no logic in their designs and are a nightmare in general, Japan especially.
LOL yep, I'm finding that out fast...
immortality

Post by immortality »

Been out driving for about 1/2 hour and the rear end is a LOT firmer.