Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by immortality »

i checked those too but mine were fine. Good change for once.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Been busy working on a mates car today. We fitted a LS1 MAF and modified the intake and pipework to suit, I wired up the MAT sensor and we fitted a WB 02. Car has a cam, 25mm manifold spacer, 3.2" pulley, larger elbow and 69mm TB and modified MACE CAI, Underneath it has pacemaker headers, twin exhaust (no cats) into single 3" out the rear. Shift kitted trans with 3.89 gears and LSD diff. I think there is also some minor porting work to the blower discharge.
0-02-06-bf343fe3770be974e9840baa584731dc6feade5e9036d4a65ad45dd3776fce57_full.jpg
I modified the existing enhanced tune with LS MAF tables, plugged in the tune and then it was time to test. It idled at 14.5:1 but was a bit lean on cruise sitting at about 16:1 and Power enrichment was seeing around 13:1. Time to tweak the tune. I pumped up the injector tables 10% and added an extra 5% right up top and turned on open loop idle and leaned it out some. Now at cruise we are seeing 14:1, Power enrichment sitting at 12:1 and going to 11.5:1 right up the top. Nice and safe until I get a chance to fine tune the bugger. With the open loop idle turned on it's idling at about 15.5 - 16.5:1 the idle has a nice lope which the owner was after.

Not a bad days work, even managed to mow the lawns which should keep the missus happy.
Last edited by immortality on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

Post by L67PSI »

That's a tidy install. Did you wire MAT to the MAF or drill and tap into the lower intake manifold?

It should move with 3.89 gears. I'm interested to see results after more tuning. Good work :thumbup:
immortality

Post by immortality »

The MAT is fitted into the LIM as per the instructions from the L67 forum, it came out better than expected considering some of the pipe was scrap from the deep recesses of my garage, but yeah, quiet happy how it came out.

It sure does, once we get those AFR's spot on we can start feeding a little timing into it and wake it up even more.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Did a bit of work on the missus car recently including it's 200,000km service. At the same time I installed this,
0-02-06-610cf55a34a2dc5718fb8f1566ab4d1961ddd9c8b3d20751f08179ad7a724571_full.jpg
It's been about 2000km since the service and the oil level on the dipstick has not changed :) The clean air oil separator is fitted in place of the breather hose that normally comes from the bottom of the TB and goes into the side of the blower below the boost valve. The clean air separator has a much smaller orifice than the standard breather hose and I had to adjust the butterfly stop screw as the as the IAC was open a lot further as there seems to be a lot less air flowing via the PCV system.

Car is running really well and seems to like the Autolite plugs fitted last time around.

The owner of the VS L67 was not to impressed with his cam and the engine didn't seem to want to rev? I had a quick look over the tune and discovered a lack of timing past 6000rpm and higher air flow numbers as the engine had never been in these areas before. Upped the timing so now it's got about 9° and it revs clean past 6200 and wants to keep pulling. Need to get it back and do some road tuning.

It's been a long time but I need to finish the Senator, recently I added a catch can to that also. Looks something like this now,
0-02-06-44d53c4a3f99d831e650a78a8cfc840679c5eccf101d5d0d763e2e9dacdb94c8_full.jpg
I have a different power steering bracket on the way so I can clean up that area.
immortality

Post by immortality »

So it's been about 2500km since the last oil change and no noticeable change in oil level so I'm calling this a win, on the other hand, getting another PS bracket over from Aussie has turned into a total head fuck because of an error on the declaration costing someone an extra NZ$147....

It also looks like the main shaft seal on the PS pump on the Calais is stuffed, I'm loosing PS fluid and there is crap sprayed all over the bay :(
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

immortality wrote:So it's been about 2500km since the last oil change and no noticeable change in oil level so I'm calling this a win, on the other hand, getting another PS bracket over from Aussie has turned into a total head fuck because of an error on the declaration costing someone an extra NZ$147....

It also looks like the main shaft seal on the PS pump on the Calais is stuffed, I'm loosing PS fluid and there is crap sprayed all over the bay :(
Sound like it stopped sucking oil into the intake or something along those lines ??

Is it possible to send you stuff & call it a gift or something to avoid high taxes then you repay said gift giver via paypal or something ?

Also I believe GMH do a PS kit which replaces a o-ring seal in the back of the pump which leaks oil everywhere.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yep, my conclusion is the amount of airflow via the PCV system was to great in volume and was taking to much oil vapour with it. Last year I fitted new LIM/gaskets so I knew everything was spotless. Some months later I lifted the blower to fit the MACE 25mm insulator and there was a noticeable film of clean oil inside the LIM which really could only have come via the PCV system. When I originally did the LIM I also removed and cleaned the PCV valve and it seemed to be free and working so I'm not sure what the go was there, maybe it was faulty and not regulating the amount of flow correctly?

The NZ government/Customs have really clamped down on imports and taxes. In the past most stuff slipped through unless it went with a shipping company that was also a tax agent i.e TNT or DHL etc but these days anything that comes over the border with a total value greater than NZ$400 gets pinged. The problem is, they don't just charge the GST due but also an inspection fee, so on a $400 parcel, which equates to about $62 in GST you also get another $45 inspection fee which also incurs it's own GST.... and when it comes via a shipping agent like TNT in this case they also added there own fees which added up to a total of $147 in extra fees and all because the sender decided to ship the parcel via express which cost more than what I originally paid for. I argued that import charges should only be levied on what I paid and that any extra costs incurred are the responsibility of the sender but they did not see it my way. The implication here is that if you purchase an item for say NZ$390 and it comes with free shipping than in theory there should be no GST due, however if the parcel has a shipping value on the declaration NZ customs adds that to the value of the goods to calculate the total value which then puts it over NZ$400....

Yes, in the past senders have "adjusted" the declared value or ticked gift (customs are rather suspicious of the gift thing now). TBH i don't mind paying the GST portion, it's all the other charges that fuck me off as I would not pay those if I purchased the item locally but there are some things (like stuff from this forum) which just aren't available at a local store to buy.

I've already replaced the O ring for the rear cover which stopped the leak previously but the mess it's making now really suggests it's the front seal that is failing. I'm sure I have a spare pump here somewhere so I might throw that on there for now and then rebuild the original pump at a later stage.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Took the car on a 5 hour round trip today. The weather was god damn terrible but the car behaved very well, the only concern is at higher throttle settings there was a loud whistling noise. Had to be very careful applying power and could only replicate the problem once.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Checked the oil level today and it has definitely dropped. Spirited driving = oil consumption. I'll hook up the catch can promptly and see if that makes any difference.

Could definitely tell it had sucked oil during the drive as the brake pedal started to get more travel. For a good portion of the drive home I took a different route which was a lot more winding and up and down so it spent a fair bit of time locked in 3rd, accelerate, brake, turn accelerate etc. With it locked in 3rd engine braking works well but that also sees the highest vacuum in the intake which would pull hard on the PCV system...