Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Holden202T

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by Holden202T »

hahaha we've all had purchases like that, a lot of mine still take up room in the shed of that "20 year project" hahaha
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Do you wanna sell it lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Not at this stage, fairly sure I can find a use for it.
immortality

Post by immortality »

So the old girl got a bit of a birthday today. New plugs/leads and a trans service.

The old plugs were iridium's, have done 64,000km + and been in the car 3 months shy of 3 years. I stopped trying to measure the old plug gaps at 0.062" ......
New plugs are Autolite 606's (stock heat range I believe) gaped at 0.054" (1.37 mm) running ~11psi boost, gave it a decent boot full on the test drive with no missing or knock retard that I could feel but will have to confirm with a datalog at some stage.

As a bonus the car is idling smooth now and the brake pedal seems firmer as well.

The old plugs (it's crap phone pic but maybe you can tell what fuel I run by the colour on the plugs),
0-02-06-feeb543061eb331fdae3678f6b0f32319320bf43ea7deeaa4d2dad70df4a148b_full.jpg
Trans also got 4 litres of new fluid, I cheated, I dropped the cooler line, pumped out 4 litres, topped up 4 litres with Penrite Full Synthetic FS and called it good, can definitely feel when it has got fresh fluid in it :)

One question, does anybody use any sort of dielectric grease or similar in the spark plug boots? Last time I had the plugs out I stuffed on lead that just didn't want to come off and the same again today (fortunately I had a new set of leads ready). I'm thinking some sort of grease will prevent the plug boots sticking and reduce the possibility of cross-arching on any dirt etc.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Engine is definitely running much better. I think in the future I'm just going to go back to 10K spark plug changes instead of the fancy iridium's, do the plugs at the same time as the oil, we'll see how well these plugs last as they are cheap enough.

Going to put on some new heat shields tonight and I'll probably grease the inside of the boots with some dielectric grease to make fitting/removal easier.

Taking the car on a decent round trip next Tuesday so we'll see how it performs fuel mileage wise too although I have to drive like a nanna as I have my boy following in his car so I have to be on my best behaviour :hmm:
immortality

Post by immortality »

Finished the new lead install today, forgot the heat shields last night (forgive the crappy phone pic).
0-02-06-f191a0fc5b9e1dae91543dc727596955e2da0ecf1f97222584342999e6800256_full.jpg
Still need to make some wire separators to tidy the install up a bit more and number the leads. Also coated the inside of the boots with some dielectric grease, made fitting the leads much easier and hopefully the removal smoother in the future too.
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh just good old stock copper plugs go the best i reckon. Especially with boost. The new stock acdelco ones are V Groove as well.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Previously I used NGK V groove plugs and at 10K change they still looked like new. Tried Champion V groove plugs too with similar results. I only stuck with the Iridium plugs because the car came with em fitted, I don't think I'd spend that much on plugs. Trying Autolite this time around as I threw some in with an order from the US.

I've not used ACdelco plugs, only ever had one car with em fitted which was our old VN. Interestingly enough that car got better fuel mileage on the old ACdelco plugs (some gaps were over 1.7 mm upon removal) than the new replacement plugs. Not sure who stocks those plugs here in NZ.
The1

Post by The1 »

im interested to see how the autolites go, seem to be popular in the US. Though i think a spark plugs primary goal is to deliver the payload, if that's done properly different designs, sizes and shapes are going to make minimal difference, though i havn't tested alot of plugs, only other plugs ive tried before were bosch 4 wire, iridium and brisk brand, i didn't see anything major to warrant the cost, i think where people that do see gains with these are when the ignition system isn't delivering good spark voltage, so small gains from a plug may make a little difference to a bad running system. But that's just my observation and opinion

Here's a pic of the pack i buy, there genuine holden pack but basicly rebadged Denso and has V Groove tip. I got 4 packs last time and paid $15 a pack. I use them for 10k and put new ones in, even after that they still look ok and gap fine. Not sure about getting these in NZ, perhaps holden dealer, i can't find anything on ebay with cheap postage.
Attachments
IMG_20171231_121935.jpg
IMG_20171231_121827.jpg
immortality

Post by immortality »

I've heard the Autolites tend to wear out quicker but I guess time will tell but then at US$2 a plug who really cares.

The iridium/platinum plugs are supposed to have a much longer service life as the rare metals are supposed to be harder wearing than what standard plugs use.

I might pull a plug after we return from our trip and see how they are performing and what it is telling me but then the lean cruise kinda burns the plug clean anyway and hides all the evidence.....

I did a few google searches but not seeing anything local here in NZ other than the local Holden stealership.