Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by immortality »

Think I'll attempt a thermostat change tomorrow and finish flushing the engine. I think there is enough room to do the job with the TB off but leaving the elbow in place.
immortality

Post by immortality »

... and I've been busy out the back of the place. Finally making progress on my pizza oven but then I strained the shoulder so have not made any more progress since last weekend. Only thing left to do now is enclose the sides, make some cabinet doors and then finish the bench tops (tiles).
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-02 at 20.35.49 (1).jpeg
(forgive the shitty phone pic)

Makes a good fire though and cooks a pizza in a few minutes :)
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-24 at 18.44.55.jpeg
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Nice pizza oven!!
immortality

Post by immortality »

Thermostat change done. spent ages trying to get the original hose off but cut the bugger in the end and put on a new one. Much faster, should have done that from the start. Got the system bled, easy job with the funnel on it. Using straight water and will do another flush and fill with additive this evening. New thermostat is controlling the temp around the 82° with the fluctuating a few degrees up and down as it adjusts flow. Road test soon. Definitely not a job you would want to do with a stock elbow and no spacer under the blower.
viber_image_2020-02-09_12-56-09.jpg
Holden202T wrote:Nice pizza oven!!
Cheers mate :)
immortality

Post by immortality »

Did another flush on the Calais and topped off with water and Pentrite 10 tenths additive. Engine coming up to temp nice and not running to cool. Call that a win.

Too bloody hot in the house today so went down to the garage and stripped down a brand new 304 GMB water pump ready for modification. When I pressed out the bearing assembly I found this...
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-26 at 13.32.09.jpeg
The bore is badly galled up on one side. I suspect it's not been pressed in straight and if the shaft isn't running true in the bore than it's going to fuck the seal in short order. I bought 2 pumps at the time so have pressed off the impeller on the 2nd pump and removed the back plate ready for mods.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Started a new thread about tuning for colder plugs as I've recently encountered a fouled plug issue during a cold start. Just adding a link here to the thread for future reference.

Tuning for colder Spark Plugs? Cold Start/Idle?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Also found the cause of my weird exhaust noise. Broken exhaust manifold stud, front passenger side.

Anyone know what size threads are used in the head? Might just pick up a few bolts. Re-use a few of the original studs where needed and replace the rest with cap screws.
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-18 at 16.09.59.jpeg
Hoping like hell I kept some of the exhaust manifold studs when I scrapped the old V6 motor.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Also spent some time digging around my other V6 spares from our old VS and managed to find the old throttle cable so I managed to sort out this.
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-18 at 16.11.25.jpeg
Just need to attach it to the pedal under the dash and that is sorted.

Now back to painting...
immortality

Post by immortality »

Anybody know of the ecotec V6 and Buick 3800 V6 motors use the same exhaust manifold bolt/stud size?

I have lots of the 3800 V6 ones but no ecotec ones in my buckets of spare bolts.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

pre eco is 3/8 UNC, eco is 5/16 UNC
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.