Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by immortality »

I'm kinda doing the same. I have 3rd gear TCC under 50km/h which pulls the revs down and it cruises along happily and 4th TCC at about 70km/h.

I'll top up this arvo and reset the trip computer and then see how things go over the next couple of weeks. It's feeling better with the extra timing down low, good throttle response and accelerates without much throttle input.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Fixed the boost gauge this arvo. Hasn't worked in ages as the gauge moved and the plastic tubing broke. Will need to find some more spare ferrules just in case I have any more problems.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Been spending more time playing with the timing on the Calais. Started working on tuning for cold air as the throttle response and fuel usage was worse on cold morning/evenings when I seem to be doing a lot of driving. finally seeing some improvements which should benefit my back pocket as I'm doing 100km+ a day atm.
immortality

Post by immortality »

My dead cold engine stalling problem is back.

Coldest morning yet and when I started the old girl it fires up fine but then the idle drops and it stalls out. Just caught it and kept it running using the throttle, than after a few seconds I heard a click and then the IAC brought the idle back up which has me wondering if maybe there is a PCM problem? I have changed the DFI module, the TPS and the IAC stepper motor in the last few days as I noticed with the cooler mornings the IAC brings the idle down but as it drops to low it takes ages for it to open up again so I thought maybe the IAC was sticking or not functioning correctly initially?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Have you logged fueling from a cold start?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality

Post by immortality »

Not yet, it doesn't have a WB O2 fitted so I can only go off what is commanded and not actual.

I was wondering if maybe it was pig rich and causing issues? It was not starting as nice on very cold mornings so I increased the injector PW Vs ECT a touch ( .02 ms) for temps under 20° C. I might have to take that out and see if it changes how it behaves. Have touched it up a bit already but now need to wait to tomorrow to test again.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Well it didn't stall last night when the missus came home but it was also 10° C warmer.

I did have some trouble with the .bin file a while back and it wouldn't burn onto the eprom properly so I've started with a new .bin file, left all the idle settings as is and we'll see how it behaves.
immortality

Post by immortality »

The old girl has started fine the last few morning but it hasn't been anywhere as cold so it's hard to say. It still drops the revs well below target idle speed but then the IAC does it's job and brings it back up.

Now some of the cold start drive-ability issues are back but I'll try to work around those a different way I think.
Last edited by immortality on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Crispy cold morning and she didn't stall. The revs still drop a fair bit below the target idle speed, got a few things to test.
immortality

Post by immortality »

The old girl got her 250,000km service this afternoon. She's officially run in :)

Still using the Penrite 15w-40 mineral diesel oil with full zinc. With the old Fuchs 15w-40 full and semi-synthetic I ran previously she would start to get noisy between 7000-8000km, on the Penrite stuff still fine at 10,000km service interval and even after draining and re-filling no noise on first start up as it builds oil pressure. Catch can about 50% full. She does seem to burn a little more oil with this Penrite but the engine is quieter so it's a trade-off I'm happy to live with. When I do the valve springs this summer break I'll do the valve stem seals too and make sure that isn't the issue.