Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by immortality »

I ended up changing back to the smaller pulley, late last night once the engine was up to full temp and the idle settled the battery voltage started to drop a little to much for my liking with lots of accesories on.
OZ38 wrote:I like those Vise Grip Pliers. I could do with a set up like that.

Yeah, they are awesome, great for holding odd shaped shit and the odd pulley.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I got those vicegrips, great for oil filters on fords. But that is an odd way of doing it up. I just clamp the rotor in a vice with soft wood on the jaws and torque the nut up to 100Nm as per specs, never needing to touch the pulley.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Cause I changed the pulley after re-assembling the alternator.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

You need to be careful when reassembling these alternators. I have seen some over torque or press on the bearings too hard and it ends up killing the windings after a sort time. Unfortunately alot of backyard butchers have done this and have had to get another one. I have fixed that many botch jobs that I am over them. Used to be very worthwhile rebuilding alts until the backyard guy touched them. Stopped doing it.

I have converted a number of alts to run off the tailshaft. This works well in a race car whihc gets just one more thing out the back of the car.

to get the nut off a good rattle gun will buzz it off without the need of clamps etc. Just dont use it to put it back on please.

Cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'm sure it will be fine :)

In this case I literally just swapped everything into the old rear casing so was really just a bolt in job.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Any Subaru experts on here?

My boy has a 2002 Subura Legacy 2002 H6. Has run really well and still is for the most part. Recently the engine check light came on, fault code 128 or P0128 which comes back as a thermostat fault. Have changed the thermostat and fitted a new ECT sensor but no change. Engine still heats up and run at the same temp on the gauge as it always has. I have not logged the car as I don't have software or hardware to do so.

I just did the spark plugs too, drivers side were rooted, passenger side not so bad but not sure if that would have any effect on the fault code above other than the engine heat cycle time from cold. In the end, the plugs were not as bad as everybody makes out on the forums. Whole job done in about 1 hour 45 minutes with a break in between banks to discuss a possible next investment.

Not sure where to go from here, my next bet is to clean/check all the earth points on the chassis/engine (there sure are enough of em).
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

It's cause it's not getting up to temp as fast as the ecu thinks it should be can happen when the coolant mix is to strong sometimes they do sell a diverter valve that somehow diverts heat via the heater hose for faster warm up cause obviously some just didn't heat up fast enough in certain climates lol.thats why it still runs at normal temp and seems normal lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality

Post by immortality »

That's the odd thing as the bloody thing heats up real quick. I did reset the fault code but it came back on the next cold start about 5 seconds after starting and that's really not enough time really get any heat into it yet?

Not sure how old the coolant is though if that might be a factor?
immortality

Post by immortality »

OK, I searched up that diverter and it seems it's for the later 3.6 engine, something to do with a different hose arrangement to increase coolant flow past the ECT.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Did you fit a genuine subaru thermostat
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem