vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by vlad01 »

You could be on to it. None of the trident or dayco aftermarket ones run the full factory temp for at least Holden so pretty good chance it might be running 10-15c cooler which I found 100% of the time so far to be the case.

For that I only use genuine stats, in fact just swapped out a trident one for a genuine one on my mate's VY last week, as expected, ran way cooler than it was meant to.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

We've tried it with 2, one genuine, one tridon. Both doing the same thing. Tested with hot water, definitely not opening early.

Doing more research supposedly P0128 fault sets if the engine doesn't reach 151°F within 90 seconds however after resetting the fault code it comes back within 10-15 seconds of starting the car so that can't be the case.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I don't know if subaru got their coding up to scratch in the end or not, but I know 90s models were notorious for having dumb/bad self diagnostics where error codes were set by unrelated faults as they somewhat had related variables in the overall processing, like say the MAT and CST aren't linked but are used for charge temp calculation on the delco for example.

Good example for subaru misleading errors was the idle control error code when the VSS was missing. I recall there was also one for the MAF that spat out something completely out of the ordinary, I can't recall what it was? TPS maybe?

Something to keep in mind, those issue may still exist in them today. I know it did owners heads in and especially those who converted their VW to a sube engine, was a great laugh watching people going round in circles fixated on the error codes that had nothing to do with what the actual fault was.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I spoke to the parts girl when I picked up the new genuine ECT sensor and she confirmed the error code is a thermostat error/warming up fault but wasn't much more specific then that. She did mention another coolant temp sensor but I don't see one. This model engine ECT sensor is a 3 wire and incorporates 2 sensors, other models have 2 seperate sensors. I also looked at the wiring diagram for this engine and I can only find the one ECT sensor on there?

Other posts on forums mention IAT sensor and ambient air temp sensors as a possibility but I'm not keen on just replacing sensor after sensor in the hope of finding the problem, the boys isn't that rich (been a poor student and all) so I'm forking out for most of the repairs.

Does anybody know a cheap/easy way to datalog these cars?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Yeah the iat is part of the maf starts getting expensive to fault find .Subaru used to send people overseas to fault find new cars with stupid errors and edit the ecu code on location to make the calibrations suitable for certain climates lol guess then the changes carried over to further production vehicles sent to some places
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality

Post by immortality »

Fairly sure this one is MAP, no MAF to be found anywhere. This thing isn't exactly new so I'd not think it's a calibration issue, rather just something sending the wrong signal.

Can you get a WOF if the CEL is set?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Well we went to work on a slightly different mode of transportation today.

Started riding a bike again a few months ago as the old ticker needs a bit of work but because of trouble with the knees/ankles a low impact exercise was crucial so the bike was a perfect option (considering I have a few in the garage). Started out on the newer/cheaper bike which turned out to be a mistake as it wasn't quiet big enough for me and I ended up killing it when I crashed 2 months ago ending up with bent wheel axle and loose bearing, main crank bearing shot, broken pedal and seat and few other minor issues.

So today I pulled out my old bike, fitted new tubes and tyres, then decided the wheel bearing were a bit rough so started pulling it all apart to clean and re-grease. Unfortunately one bearing was dry and I wasn't paying attention and some of the ball bearings decided to part company, found all but one so I have new ones on order and should have em tomorrow.
0-02-08-041048582f7d3bfb37cf83ef84370a44d7e83ed6a75d2cec1cb472edafdd2c57_f8c0f1c0.jpg
All going well it'll all be done tomorrow for it's new maiden voyage.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

geez, its been a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time since i've played with a bike ...... that didn't have an engine :P
immortality

Post by immortality »

Me too (not counting the last 3 months). Got the old girl back on the road again.
0-02-08-0f857d25bcbafebfc718a1780108fe1e420a15ac30b655cf5b4ac52e003f8ec8_e5b7d11d.jpg
This bike has a slightly larger frame than the last one I trashed, it allows me to get full power through the legs unlike the last bike. Much better riding position.

Thought I'd found a much better use of the old boot mounted CD changer bracket but unfortunately the top of the tank fouls on the boot lid arm when closing :(
0-02-08-36d43fe4bda384e30e9c5609e0c03f9aaf016c49f23c7008a291153461926756_bc380559.jpg
I really prefer to semi-hide the tank or the missus will get pissed with something else taking up room in the boot. Not sure what I'll try next but cutting a hole in the boot floor is not an option unfortunately.
immortality

Post by immortality »

First time out on the bike in about 6 weeks, did a little 20 minute round trip mainly going up and down a few hills to get the old ticker pumping again. Heart rate peaked at 186bpm with an average of 153bpm over the 20 minute ride. Not bad for a totally unfit 40yo

To solve my tank fitment problem I'm probably going to go down to a slightly smaller tank (from 4 to 3 gallons) which should fit the bracket perfectly with no clearance issues (and out of sight/out of mind ot keep the missus happy).

And now I'm going to watch the next episode of the Skid Factory!