Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by Tazzi »

immortality wrote:How do we adjust the dash speedo? I emailed Tazzi but I haven't heard back yet.

Got it all back together today, fitted some new exhaust gaskets as the originals after the cats were rubbish. I used 80w-90 mineral gear oil but the gears are a bit noisy and more noticeable when hot. I'll get some 80w-140 synthetic to try tomorrow.
Just getting around to everyones emails now as Iv just clocked off for the day.

Expect a message back shortly :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Cheers.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

What kind of oil should I use for my Detroit Truetrac?.

One of the most impressive things I found about them that many will never experience is how they are on ice, you can still steer!
Not so with the Detroit Locker, A Locker will drive you straight and forces you to steer with the ass end. (ie sliding (getting the inside tire to slip))
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
immortality

Post by immortality »

SO I got the diff back in the car but struggling with gear noise. First few laps around the block is was awesome but then as it warmed up the noise gets louder. I think it's gear noise so I took the diff out and adjusted the backlash, increased it a bit and put it back in. First time the noise was worst over overrun. Now it worst when just cruising. hit the gas and it goes away mostly. Definitely accelerating better and traction is a real bonus. This is what the gear pattern looked like this time around.
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-10 at 12.24.32.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-10 at 12.24.33.jpeg
My only thought is maybe the pinion a touch to deep?

Using 80w-90 mineral oil as recommended by Motive Gears and Eaton Truetrac.

Also, A big thanks to Tazzi. Got a copy of his Body Diagnostics software to change the dash cluster.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I would check the pinion bearing pre-load. I had one destroy itself within a few Km. Did the same, was quiet and got nosier and noisier after about 1-2km
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, that was my first though first time around. I reset the pre-load and I'm sure its within spec. I used the old string and weight scale method to check. They recommend 1.4 to 2.4Nm with new bearings and seal and we were right at about 2Nm.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Also, does anybody have any idea what the normal operating temps for these diffs are?
immortality

Post by immortality »

I think I'm gonna pull it out again. Just went around the block and I'm not happy with that noise. Getting good at pulling diffs....

Good thing I'm still at home from work (no work) and the missus is working from home again this week.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Pulled the diff out and checked/stripped it down.

What we found, Backlash had increased 0.02mm and the pinion pre-load was slightly lower but still within spec.

Tomorrow we will clean and re-assemble. Will also double check the carrier bearing pre-load again. Otherwise I can't really see any reason for noise other than the gear set?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Diff is back in. Less pre-load on the bearings. Back lash and wear pattern look good but the diff is still noisy so I can only put it down to the gears :( Recalibrated the dash this arvo using Envyous customs software. Was definitely the easiest part of this whole gear swap saga. Literally 2 minutes and the job was done. Thanks Tazzi for the software.

Motive Gears recommend a 500mile break in period doing short drives to heat cycle the gear set. The crown wheel did show some interesting heat markings so I think I'm going to try that and see if the noise changes, hopefully the bitch will wear itself in and quieten down.