Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
delcowizzid

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by delcowizzid »

Pinion depth is most important for the noise. It's probably stamped on the pinion crown as the gears are pre lapped as a set with the pinion at a certain depth from the crown wheel centreline. Moving the diff carrier side to side won't change the noise we've been here with the solid axle swapping previously quite gears into other housings start quiet then get real loud
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yeah, it's engraved on the face of the pinion. I don't really have the gear to measure it. I was thinking if I fit the carrier bearing hubs and put a shaft the same diameter as the stub shafts in the needle roller bearing it might be accurate enough for measuring.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Run a nice square across the cap join diagonally across the diff with the bearing caps off and measure down to the pinion with some digital verniers might be good enough
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality

Post by immortality »

It's an IRS diff which have the screw in bearing hubs.

I'll try and track down some centerless ground bar tomorrow and see what I can make up to suit.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Oh of corse they are lol just measure from the bottom of the holes and add the radius of the hole to your measuremwnts
immortality

Post by immortality »

True, that would work too. Trying to find someone in Auckland who can supply pinion shims atm.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Been trying to track down shims today but not much luck. Did talk to a diff shop in Drury. Sent him the pics of the wear pattern and he thinks it the pinion needs to drop about .004" - .005" as the mesh is a bit deep.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Are you using a crush collar or a solid collar ??
What's your current pinion head shim stack list ??

You don't need the fancy smancy tool, the pattern tells all ... if you can read it!

I consider it to be a black art and those that do it frequently just get it right without the pains those of us that do a couple a year get when we sweat and struggle fret and fume over them!

I've done many, I do not like doing them, I am not comfortable reading the pattern ... I hire it done! It's worth it.

I feel the pain!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
immortality

Post by immortality »

Hi mate,

Crush collar.

Pinion has a single shim under the bearing cup.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Let me see if I understand correctly ...

You have a Pinion.
You slipped on a single shim.
You slipped on the bearing (pressed it home I assume).

Is that basically correct??
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!