Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by madmaxisback »

Too easy mate.

These ones look similar. I think the # numbers are linked to whoever makes the kit up with ARP. If your mate does a kit up let me know as I am almost ready to pull trigger for my beast. (Hence why I had saved)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2297819022
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Well that turned into a cluster fuck. Undid the power wire on the starter and pulled on the solenoid wire but the bastard woudn't budge. Got a torch out and had a good look and someone has soldered the wire to the terminal which looks to be broken off.

Left it for a bit, then went back down and started to remove the cable ties someone had used under there, cutting the last one I also nicked the solenoid wire :shock: :( so now the loom is out but part is still attached to the starter :sad2: but that is a problem for later, first to figure out how to run the loom.

I'm considering pulling that whole loom out, seperating the wires for the alternator module and starter solenoid and putting in new larger earth and main power cables and then instead of running a new larger cable from the alternator back to the battery run it directly to the starter instead as that is one less cable to worry about.
oldn64 wrote:SWEET! :thumbup:

another thing is you can hide the wiring along the kframe if you take your time. this will blend it and nobody will know it is there :)

Cheers
oldn64
How would you fasten that to the K frame? The only way I see how would be to drill holes along the edge, lay the loom inside and cable tie in place.
madmaxisback wrote:Too easy mate.

These ones look similar. I think the # numbers are linked to whoever makes the kit up with ARP. If your mate does a kit up let me know as I am almost ready to pull trigger for my beast. (Hence why I had saved)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2297819022
I checked with my supplier, he doesn't have anything in ARP to suit and recommended stainless cap screws which was always my 2nd choice. I contacted the above supplier but he wants $50 to send that little packet to NZ. Bugger that.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote:
oldn64 wrote:SWEET! :thumbup:

another thing is you can hide the wiring along the kframe if you take your time. this will blend it and nobody will know it is there :)

Cheers
oldn64
That is one way to do it. the other three ways are, weld tabs along spray black and lay the conduit in the tabs to hold it together. this can thus blend into the scene.
drill small holes for cable ties which act as the tabs to hold the loom in place.
make up a cover that clips onto the crossmember that hides the wiring. you can even tap small threads in the bottom to secure the tray in place.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Cheers mate,

Engine is insitu so I think some small holes and cable ties might be the go for now. At some stage the the engine will come out which would be a better time to explore other options I think. Thanks for the suggestions though :)
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

:thumbup: no problems.

I would make sure you have enough length now with the engine in that way once the engine is out you can run it without getting it all ready only to find you are 5mm too short :(

Cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Ok,

Quick question for you automotive sparkies out there. The alternator on the Calais is dying, I have another but the D+ terminal on the back has snapped off where the condenser is normally connected too. If I'm not mistaken I can just run the condenser straight off the main output post and it should work exactly the same?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Never mind, turns out the VX alternator doesn't have one fitted. Never did as there was some heat shrink over the terminal.

Had to swap over the rear housing as the spare alternator was from an ecotec. Whilst stripping the old one I think I found the problem (old Vs new)...
0-02-08-8cff6a5b3017949e6a18c99513ced442008f88afe5f005dad047522e627a583d_4b4702ba.jpg
Whilst I had it apart I also fitted my old 20% UD pulley,
0-02-08-1f6bdacc0577082bdb331fa8ebbc39d2ec2946e88c77f0e82c9ad003de0348d4_88c11c2.jpg
All refitted on the car and tested. Happily maintains 14.4 volts at idle at the battery with load. Happy days and only cost me about 2 hours of my time.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

You can get the brushes from repco for like 8 bucks and solder them in
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
immortality

Post by immortality »

Never knew that. Not to bothered, the other alternator was spare (and I got it cheap to begin with), the slip rings on the old one were well worn and the bearings were bit rattly so well due for either a complete overhaul or replacement.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

I like those Vise Grip Pliers. I could do with a set up like that.