Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by immortality »

Yeah, with the strut brace fitted it does look a bit like the earlier models but I had to drill the holes for the bolts. VT onward the top strut bush sits in a cup that is spot welded into the strut tower. No adjustment available :(
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote:Yeah, with the strut brace fitted it does look a bit like the earlier models but I had to drill the holes for the bolts. VT onward the top strut bush sits in a cup that is spot welded into the strut tower. No adjustment available :(
Yes I know hence I was trying to work out how you did the conversion.... oops my bad :S

cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Got a little bit done today. Stripped out the PS pump/bracket and pulleys from the WP and crank. Plan is to push the car out next week and de-grease all around the long block before going any further. Will probably remove the alternator/bracket before doing so. Trying to see if I can route the main starter motor power cable around the bottom of the engine instead of over top the timing cover to neaten things up a bit. Holden really did a piss poor job of routing the transmission cooler lines/AC hoses etc Just looking at those is pissing me off now that everything else is out of the way...
0-02-06-8271ffe90fc4fbef289822456b617d7eab9229d842d3881d9b31ac403ab9c86e_7d93fb61.jpg
Back on shift tomorrow so there won't be any more progress till next week.

edit: forgive the crappy phone pic...
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

a crappy pic is better than no pic :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote:... forgive the crappy phone pic...

What is crappy about that pic..... has a v8, is an aussie built car and is a holden.... all winners :D

cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Change of plans....
The FPR is now going to go onto the end of the passenger side fuel rail and just reverse the fuel flow through the fuel rails, that fairly much solves my space issues with the FPR/trans dipstick tube. Just need one different fitting which I should have next week and then the fuel rail issues are sorted.
WhatsApp Image 2018-06-15 at 1.58.27 PM.jpeg
Need to find a local supplier so I can make up some new hard brake lines from the MC to the ABS module. The OEM ones were totally in the way so I ended up bending em out of the way....
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote:Need to find a local supplier so I can make up some new hard brake lines from the MC to the ABS module. The OEM ones were totally in the way so I ended up bending em out of the way....
i have been there and done that when i rebuilt my EH. I tried to get brake line delivered straight so I could form and shape it...got one length but the courier bent it to get it in the car (faceplam). 99% of the lines out there come as a roll. This is what I ended up with and used a simple clamp at on eend of the garage to unroll it. end up straight enough that once I bent the line the right way it ended up looking like OEM.

Make sure you get a proper bending tool, the line will kink really easy and the line actually work hardens as you bent it so measure 22 times bend once. :thumbup:

cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

Cheers,

Yeah, I have a proper bending and flaring tools.
brindo

Post by brindo »

I’d be keen to see some photos of how you end up running that main battery cable once your done. Holden didn’t put it in the best spot and over the timing cover takes up a lot of room. Think its got the alternator wiring in there as well.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Looks like it's going to need to be unwrapped and modified a bit. I tried putting it under the oil pump put the alternator wires weren't quiet long enough. Hoping that I can get a bit more cable length by pulling those out of the main loom. All going well I should make it all fit without cutting anything.