Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Postby In-Tech » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:31 pm

It looks like there is one place in the US that sells this oil. I'm interested to try it as my beat up '03 Pontiac 3100 does make some noise on cold start that is quite annoying. It does have a shade over 200,000 miles(~320,000 km). In your opinion is it negligible to the cat life or anything else?

Postby immortality » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:48 pm

I've done 20,000km on this oil and haven't noticed any issues but it's hard to say if its effected the cat. I believe the manufacturer says it's safe to use, it meets certain standards so I'd assume it's fine to use

If you want high zinc oils check out Power Driven Diesel in the US, they make their own oils with lots of zddp.

Postby immortality » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:42 pm

I should also add since fitting the truetrac I've been getting weird wheel chatter/hop when the roads are wet when cornering at very low speeds. The tyres on the car are getting fairly old and the rears are almost down to the wear markers so I've ordered a new set of tyres and will have them fitted this week. If that doesn't improve the wheel chatter/hop problem I'll look at the rear shocks next.

Work wise my job security still isn't certain. My employer has lost maybe 40% work, some weeks I'm doing my regular days, other weeks I'm only getting a single shift. We are coming into the busy period of the year but the government subsidy runs out at the end of this month. Redundancies will either occur next month or they will keep us on till Xmas when the "rush" ends.

Postby vlad01 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:00 pm

In-Tech wrote:It looks like there is one place in the US that sells this oil. I'm interested to try it as my beat up '03 Pontiac 3100 does make some noise on cold start that is quite annoying. It does have a shade over 200,000 miles(~320,000 km). In your opinion is it negligible to the cat life or anything else?

Generally anything over 1500ppm of zinc will slowly poison the cat especially if the engine is worn and starting to use oil.

These engines by their design really don't care for high zinc oils, it's only an issue for really old design flat tappet cam engines using softer cast iron cams and even then anything 800ppm and above is considered safe.

Just use a known brand to the specs (viscosity and API) stated by the manufacture.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.

Previous

Return to Off Topic