Home brewing bourbon

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag

Home brewing bourbon

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

As the topic suggests, I got a homebrew bourbon kit for chrissy & need to find a reasonably priced 40% grain alcohol...

It seems stupid to buy a neutral vodka for a little bit cheaper than what you can buy bourbon off the shelf, so has anyone ever tried a homebrew bourbon kit & what did you use as a base?

I'm tipping this will be like 90% of my other off topic threads & not get a reply, but always worth a question.
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Re: Home brewing bourbon

Post by Macca97 »

i no a few guys are doing this, dont no if you've found it, but theres also a forum for home brew which should be a big help, if you dont have any luck here
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

My uncle brew his own everything you can imagine. He brews the pure spirits first at around 95-98% hydrous, charcoal filters it and blah blah.

I don't know much about the process other than he does not buy any alcohol to make any of it, everything starts from raw ingredients and not ones you buy from the brew shop.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

ah thats the old school wog grappa way VSH. good gear that. always wondered how they made that happen
VX if you have to buy grog to make grog arent you defeating the whole purpose?
its the same with that home made baileys shit ; u have to buy all this crap to make it and it ends up just as exxy as buying baileys.

NB : i don't drink by the way :)
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thanks Macca I did check out a couple of other forums but hoped there may be a few like minded SPIRITS here lol all pun intended.

VSH sounds pretty cool but I only need a 40% base Neutral/Grain alcohol, if you/he knows how to get there please share.

Psyolent yeah I totally agree but with the last line of your comment all of it is ignored... LMAO sorry.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Thanks Macca I did check out a couple of other forums but hoped there may be a few like minded SPIRITS here lol all pun intended.

VSH sounds pretty cool but I only need a 40% base Neutral/Grain alcohol, if you/he knows how to get there please share.

Psyolent yeah I totally agree but with the last line of your comment all of it is ignored... LMAO sorry.
I'm pretty sure he ferments sugar or something to produce pure spirits. The whole idea of pure spirits is that he can cascade down to other %s to make what ever product he wants.

I was asking about making fuel but we worked out its cheaper to just buy E85 from United lol.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Obviously your uncle knows what his doing, but I thought to make spirits with such high alcohol content you would have to distill something. Which can be quite dangerous if you don't know what your doing and end up distilling it wrong and drinking the wrong part of alcohol (methanol instead of ethanol or something?). Highly poisonous and sends you blind etc. this is what happens in Bali etc when people drink "arak" (cheap vodka made over there obviously with no quality control etc).
I remember it was on the news a couple of years ago a couple of Australians died after drinking some spirit they had made and distilled incorrectly at home.
Also heard but not sure if it's true but it's actually illegal to distill alcohol at home for this reason.

This is obviously very different to fermenting home brew beer etc which is very safe

Also obviously the bourbon kit you got for Christmas is safe because you use off the shelf alcohol, I'm talking about making alcohol completely from raw ingredients
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Vlad and pman are on to it, you need a still. If you do get one don't get one of the cheap air cooled ones there shit, to be honest it's a lot of fucking around compared to just buying it. Beer in the other hand is easy and well worth making, that I highly recommend
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Speaking of beer, Uncle brought some 7 year old beer and left me some bottles. You care to try some HQ? Its so good you can't help but chuck it down.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Get yourself a still (sp?) and make your own alcohol then make the bourbon after that.