Home brewing bourbon

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: Home brewing bourbon

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:I dont think its easy to identify if the process worked properly hence the risk.
Oooooo.. Im stressing my memory back to chemistry at uni..

Different alcohols (And substances) will have different retention times. If I remember correctly.. chromatography? Pretty sure its the process of separating substances and then identifying them based on retention times. (Basically how long they take to fall through a tiny tube)

Not sure if theres any home kits that will be accurate enough to identify between the light and heavy alcohols. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They also have different boiling points.

Surely mass spectrometers are affordable these days?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

vlad01 wrote:They also have different boiling points.

Surely mass spectrometers are affordable these days?
Guess that depends on how much alcohol is gonna be brewed ;)
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Speaking of which. I tested my purge canister on the red VP to make sure it still worked and ethanol came out of the purge lol. Must of been from when I used e85 as the easy vaporization filled the canister or possibly 98 octane fuel contains ethanol in small amounts and that fraction evaporated and ended up in the canister? It was months of using 98 after only one tank of e85 ever being in the car so I can't imagine it hanging around for that long?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Dylan wrote:How do you like the taste of there all grain? Sounds cheaper to, ingredients anyway. A bit more outlay on the hardware though.
The all grain tastes great but they said it takes 8+ hours to make and you need the equipment. I'm a consumer at the end of the day and kit and kilo is cheap and easy with great results. One day when I have time i'l do all grain
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

vlad01 wrote:Speaking of which. I tested my purge canister on the red VP to make sure it still worked and ethanol came out of the purge lol. Must of been from when I used e85 as the easy vaporization filled the canister or possibly 98 octane fuel contains ethanol in small amounts and that fraction evaporated and ended up in the canister? It was months of using 98 after only one tank of e85 ever being in the car so I can't imagine it hanging around for that long?

Yeah I tuned my VE S2 sidi 3.0L with a full tank of E85 6+ months ago & I still get a wiff of the ethanol from time to time especially on warm day when the recirc isn't on, that is also most likely worse as I have the breather system venting to atmos... but getting a bit off topic lol.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I have the breather system venting to atmos
Why?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Just so the rocker covers & rest of the crankcase system don't get carbon build up at all!
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

O.K. so now bringing this back up as I never did anything about it & my bday is coming up so might buy myself a pressie & have looked into the risk's & what not & so long as you get rid of the first 100ml(50ml is recommend by minimum) of each wash it should be a fairly safe process...

I did notice there are stainless kits & copper kits but have been told the copper kits are the same internally so it's really just for looks can anyone confirm or deny this or have other thoughts?
Jervies
cars: Vt v6 wiith a gt35/40 turbo e85 399rwkw
Mazda e2000 with a cammed vx ecotec motor

Post by Jervies »

Copper helps with the taste, copper packing is also better but hard to maintain.
If your doing the grain spirits youll need a pot still, it keeps the flavor of the mash unlike a reflux that makes clean spirit.
"A friend" uses a pure distilling copper reflux still, it made about 92%, its since been modified with a double length head and two lots of packing and makes a very clean 96%
You could make your own reflux still, its simply a tube stuffed with packing and a cooling core at the top.