Home brewing bourbon

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Home brewing bourbon

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

From a quick google with staying away from previous mentioned air cooled still it looks like there's 2 main options?
Turbo 500 Still or Alembic Pot Still

Does anyone know of any others or which is better out of these?
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

My son used to make that stuff. I had a smell and went to water. It's amazing how fast the whole production takes but like others have said be very careful and stay within the guidelines or yes the consequences can be bad.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

vlad01 wrote:Speaking of beer, Uncle brought some 7 year old beer and left me some bottles. You care to try some HQ? Its so good you can't help but chuck it down.
Does a bear shit in the woods ! Don't tell big G lol
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

HQ355 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:Speaking of beer, Uncle brought some 7 year old beer and left me some bottles. You care to try some HQ? Its so good you can't help but chuck it down.
Does a bear shit in the woods ! Don't tell big G lol
:shh:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Anyone home brew beer on an all grain set up on here?
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

No, I'd like to one day, I know a few blokes that do and it a lot more time consuming than kit and kilo. For me for now kit and kilo is great
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

How do you like the taste of there all grain? Sounds cheaper to, ingredients anyway. A bit more outlay on the hardware though.
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

I had been making home stilled spirits for years. I loved creating different blends. My set up was a 30l pot still. I tried using a reflux still for a while but went back to the pot still for simplicity and quicker turnover. The pot still split the spirit off at a lesser percentage (around 70-75) but at a quicker rate. The reflux could get high 90s but would always fall back to 96.4% due to attracting moisture from the air.

With the pot still I could make around 30l of filtered and cut white spirit per week for about $50. Eventually I got great results from a variety of essences and barrel chips. Sold a few bottles off to family and friends to cover costs so I could drink for free.

Test suggested the 1st 180ml distilled from a 25l fermented wash was methanol and should be discarded. I discarded the first 250ml to be sure. Also carbon filtered the white spirit twice or three times to remove the remaining impurities.
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

so for a 10L(2 gallon) kit like this as that going to be o.k. & safe enough so long as all the correct methods are used...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Pots-Home- ... 3qfhY2C8SA
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yep as others have said this is a dangerous process and is not endorsed by pcmhacking.net. I would recommend having a read of this too: https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/spirits-topics/legal

Other than the legailities, the danger as I understand it is in the temperature control. There is a narrow window of temperature range where the process works properly and before you distill the wrong type of alcohol which is the one that causes blindness etc. I dont think its easy to identify if the process worked properly hence the risk.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396