VS Commodore Air bag light stuck on.

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
kodielees
cars: VS SS Commodore

Re: VS Commodore Air bag light stuck on.

Post by kodielees »

Hi everyone,
I have a VS SS Commodore, also with similar issues as others with the SRS alarm light on. I am not sure how I activated mine to be on, as I was doing a lot of work around the instrument cluster, and installing a good quality stereo system, amongst other things. So I guess I was in the right area to generate such a problem.
I see mention about the XTUNER E3 VPECKER Easydiag scan tool, as a suitable device capable of reading and clearing the SRS error light issue. I am just trying to confirm with maybe yourself and others, that can confirm this, as there seems to be a couple of varieties of this tool, but I feel that there maybe only one which says VPECKER.
Like others, I am trying to obtain a hard copy, or PDF of Volume 5 (wiring diagrams). I do have a couple of schematics showing the power lines, alarm light line, and output signal lines of the data from both the BCM and SRS modules, however; I do not see the sensor inputs for these modules in the drawings, and feel that the full schematics would help.
I have a background in electrical, and electronics engineering, so the schematics in my case would be helpful.
This may seem a bit strange, but I actually designed and developed some of the circuit boards used in the switches for the VS Commodore, and other vehicles as well. For the SS Commodore, I developed the PCB's for the headlamp switch, cruise control, wiper intermittent, and both radio remote boards, but did not have my vehicle at the time we were producing these switches, else I would have obtained a few spares.
If anyone can verify the XTUNER E3 VPECKER Easydiag is the device that should work, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone for their input.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

No its not. They're keyword spamming these 3 different devices to scam sales.

XTUNER E3
VPECKER
Easydiag

Sadly I cant tell you what is though, and I dont have one.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
kodielees

Post by kodielees »

Thanks antus,
So it appears that there is no scan tool capable of reading or clearing the SRS alarm other than the Tech 1 scan tool.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

well there is a thread about it and i think we had the aldl figured out but it needs to be on a secondary bus and we never figured out to tell the bcm to bridge the busses or maybe its on another pin. you could get an aldl interface and connect the data line (pin 9) straight to serial data on the dash and see if it works.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
kodielees

Post by kodielees »

I don't see a standard aldl scan tool being able to read the SRS codes, as I don't believe they connect to the SRS data pin.
For the SRS, Pin 1 on the 16-pinOBD-II connector is used to transmit the serial data out of the unit.
For the ABS and the ECU (BCM), Pin 9 on the 16-pinOBD-II connector is used to transmit the serial data out of the unit.
With the ECU, this modules need to be enabled, in other words, the enable pin to the ECU is tied to ground by shorting Pin 5 and Pin 6 together, whereas for the ABS module, shorting Pin 5 and Pin 12 together. Both the ECU and ABS modules appear to use the same data pin to transmit the serial data, and separate enable pin.
There has been attempts to acquire the serial data, interfacing by using a standard MAX232 IC, and stabilised using a 3-terminal 5 volt regulator. Some people have even created C++ programs etc., in order to monitor this data, however; nobody that I know of has been able to acquire the data from the SRS module. For the SRS module, there seems to be 2 things happening.
1) When the SRS fault lamp is on, then this will automatically enable the module to transmit the data, as Pin 13 on the 16-pinOBD-II connector seems to be the enable pin, as well as the SRS warning light signal line.
2) If there is no SRS alarm, you would need to manually short Pin 5 and 13 together. This would also cause the SRS light to come on whilst these pins were shorted together.
The baud rate for the data output for the ECU and ABS is 8192, so the data should be able to be monitored by using HyperTerminal using the interface mentioned above. I am not sure what data format they use when transmitting, and I am not sure about the SRS baud rate.
Back to the SRS module, there seams to be a latch condition whenever an SRS alarm is generated. Disconnecting the battery does not clear the alarm. I have a list of the error codes for the SRS, however; if there is a latch, this would be held by some kind of small flash RAM possibly. To write over this and clear the bit would be difficult, unless you knew how the alarm clearing is managed, such is internally by a single transmit code to the module from externally.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

So you can flash the SRS codes by bridging the diagnostic connector but can't clear them even with battery disconnected?
From experience (I'm an auto electrician) I feel it's more likely it's a hard fault causing the code, which is why it may appear to "not clear". IE as soon as you reconnect the battery and turn the key on it detects the fault condition again straight away.

All of GM's factory service manuals are accessible for a (very reasonably priced) subscription fee of $28 for 3 days. https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions
Get a 3 day subscription. You will then have to select "Holden Legacy Manuals" somewhere. Then you will have access to all of the older manuals like the ones for your car in PDF format. I don't think there is anything wrong with clicking save as on those PDF's as long as you don't then distribute them elsewhere if you know what I mean
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
kodielees

Post by kodielees »

Hi pman92,
I haven't tried flashing the code for the SRS by enabling it, as I was only looking at the schematic portion of the module to get some idea, and I did not know that the codes for the SRS could flash, as the module data seems to be automatically enabled when the alarm is on by the internal SRS module NPN transistor pulled to ground.
From what I have read somewhere, that once the error has been generated for the SRS, it has to be manually cleared, therefore leaving the battery out for even a year would not clear the alarm.
I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, that I had much of the dash removed to install a new stereo, and replace the odometer gear inside the instrument cluster. I am thinking that I may have disturbed something in the process. Having the wiring diagram for the inputs to the module would help me somewhat to diagnose certain wiring errors, or at least check the inputs to the SRS module for a problem. I have a list of the error codes, and some of them would be difficult such as loop resistance high/low error, as I do not know the values, but maybe the schematics has this detail.
Thanks for the wiring details information, however, PDF's can be configured so that it disables printing, which I am sure they would do. Fortunately, the VR/VS full volume workshop manuals are available to read in state library, and due to copyright laws, I can get a copy of no more than 10% or one chapter, so there is an avenue to get the data I am after, though travel involved.
Are you aware of any method capable of clearing the SRS error without a Tech 1 scan tool?
What's with the simulator?
kodielees

Post by kodielees »

Hi to everyone,
Regarding SRS airbag light stuck on for the VS Commodore. The sad thing about most of the possible issues whereby owners have experienced the SRS airbag light stuck on, could be that it is self-inflicted in some cases. With the VS Commodore, many, maybe all, SRS sensor modules located under the drivers seat are generally made by Siemens. The module may have a part number such as 16201049 for the single airbag, and have Made In Spain on it.
I have no idea if there were any Bosch models installed in the VS Commodores, as was the case with the VR, and apparently with the VR, the service manual offers a means of viewing and resetting the error codes via bridging 2 terminals in the diagnostic port, and reading the codes. There is a similar process whereby reading the engine error codes of the ECU module, however; these are a different set of terminals that need to be bridged out. The VS from what I can see, does not seem to offer any options as such, except for ECU errors.
With regards to the self-inflicted nature of the VS airbag light staying on, if for any reason you attempt to diagnose the fault by bridging out terminals 5 and 13 on the diagnostic port, this will actually place the SRS module into a fault mode, and there does not seem to be any way that you can reset it yourself. This is a real trap, as from what I can see, is that you can easily bridge these terminals out by mistake, if you follow the VR SRS error code check/reset operation as per the service manual. What I don't understand, is that the VR allows for DIY read/reset, though not the VS.
Last edited by kodielees on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
kodielees

Post by kodielees »

Hi Everyone,

As you might be able to gather, I also have had some dealings with the SRS lamp coming on and staying on. At first I thought I had a faulty SRS module that sits under the drivers seat. Ordered a second hand unit that worked, the SRS light went off, cheering to the outcome. This was short lived, about one minute, thinking that my old module was faulty, I tried bridging out pins 5 and 13 on the diagnostic port. Big mistake. This causes the SRS lamp to come on, with no glory of it going back off at the time. Thinking that the Tech 1 Scan Tool was the only tool out there that would work to erase the codes, is completely wrong.
I purchased a Vident i400AU OBD ALDL Scan Tool For Holden - Professional For Holden VR VS VX VT VE WM VY VZ VF & More, from the following:
https://www.auscanners.com.au/vident-i4 ... den-profes
As always, there are scammers out there, and apparently it appears that some may or may not have trolled this site as well with false hopes. Over time, links change and no longer work, so if you go to the home page for the website at https://www.auscanners.com.au/ grab the contact details, email or phone them, and talk to Boris.
I was quoted $88 to have the code cleared by Holden, but opted to pay 3 times this to get a scanner, simply because it will read/clear all engine codes, and see all live data as well. If for any reason you get the SRS alarm again, or you know someone close to you with the same problem, then you can be independent and rectify the problem within minutes for free.
By the way, things did not start out well, as I felt that the scanner was not going to work at all on the SRS, even though it was in the menu. Problem I had was that there was a missing file that did not automatically get loaded onto the scanner, so if anyone goes ahead and has the same problem, contact Boris (email) and let him know.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

This info from the Holden manual might help others.
Attachments
Code deleting.pdf
(523.16 KiB) Downloaded 306 times