Experience with Manufacturing..

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Experience with Manufacturing..

Post by Tazzi »

Curious if anyone else has had experiences with getting things manufactured? Whether it be PCBs, cases, 3D printing, parts assembly or even designing?
Im starting to understand why alot of people do kickstarter campaigns since the minimum order quantities on fabrication are absolutely unreal. Its unrealistic to even contemplate getting it done without a loan or support.

Its been an awesome learning experience from start to finish with 3D modelling, firmware+PCB designing ect. But now being done.. I cant get them done at small quantities (100).. everything clears way over 1000units
My solution will be 3D printing and manually soldering for a while to make it economical.. but if anyones had previous experiences with getting stuff made up or suggestions then Id greatly appreciate it!

It seems the designing and developing stage was actually the fun part! The shitty part is trying to get it made!

For anyone curious, heres one of the finished cables.
FinishedProto.jpg
FinishedProto.jpg (160.93 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Experience with Manufacturing..

Post by Dylan »

That's a blow. If I can help out with drilling some holes or putting some cases together please yell out.
I would love to help.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

My issue I have had is the manufacturing is relatively low cost, CNC machine etc. Its the design and setup cost thats prohibitive for me as I don't have access to 3D scanners, cad software or anyone who can do it for a slab. I only have 2D cad capabilities and equipment at my disposal as that is the industry I support but unfortunately the printing/finishing industry has 0 to do with 3D anything. Even connections with 100s of people, no one knows.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Thanks Dylan!

3D scanner would have been nice to get a perfect mold electronically of the OBD2 plug. Iv circled the buy button on small 3D scanner for a while now.
I used a free software, 123D which has been absolutely brilliant. Have to really learn what every button does to learn how to join, break, add ect. Trying to learn to use more complex 3D software such as inventor pro, which is quite full on.

Iv contacted a good 100 places this afternoon. We will see if any can provide a better deal on 100units!
Or at least.. be able to provide parts of the full thing.

A couple of them are local Aussie places.. for shits and gigs really.. I know its going to be laughable prices.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I found a much more local engineering company that does scanning and modeling ect... and said to do so for the c pillar moulds would be about 500 gst included, ready for machining facilities.

Once I have details I will post them up. Anyone interested in them? would work out cheaper with more orders.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Hey Tazzie is that Bluetooth? I don't see a cable in the pic.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The guy that runs the CommodorePlus forum does CAD modeling, he also does 3D printing making car parts and shit for his ride. He might have some contacts as I believe he's been in the CAD industry for a very long time.

The guys name is Gary and I believe his company is called Cadgile.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Charlescrown wrote:Hey Tazzie is that Bluetooth? I don't see a cable in the pic.
Sure is!
Its USB and BT. Eventually Ill look at smartphone apps.
immortality wrote:The guy that runs the CommodorePlus forum does CAD modeling, he also does 3D printing making car parts and shit for his ride. He might have some contacts as I believe he's been in the CAD industry for a very long time.

The guys name is Gary and I believe his company is called Cadgile.
Going to have to speak to him. Might have some hints or suggestions for places to go then.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Yeah Gary's daughter runs the printing buisso he's a good guy had a lot of dealings with him
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
The1

Post by The1 »

it maybe more worth your while to design your board to fit in an ebay obd2 plug