vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Little workshop of horrors

Post by vlad01 »

HQ355 wrote:There not the engine mounts in Vlads company car ?

The french people at nissan didn't put any in though. Unless you consider air instead of rubber a form of mounting?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

firebug wrote:I'm surprised the belt is still intact... :shock:
that was my first thought too!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

VE L98 V8

I wonder what came first, broken valve spring or collapsed lifter?....
The valve head was in the inlet manifold :lol:
70C54BE7-04FA-4106-8FE3-1A14E7A9BED0.jpeg
76C5F00B-8367-424A-A84C-3B0F221FA904.jpeg
AC5E895A-FFE7-4C56-A689-11CC2527A6A7.jpeg
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

probably spring and then that allowed the the whole train to pound itself to bits or more likely the piston smacked the valve after the spring broke and the shock up the train destroyed everything else in one fell swoop.

Seen same sort of thing happen in a V6, piston separated from the rod, smacked the valves and that smashed big chuck of metal off the lobes on the cam and bent the valves slightly. Lifters were ok as were the pushrods, cam wasn't though, it was so distinct you could calculate the crank angle when the piston left the party.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Hmm piston and valve relations always make a mess...

I still rememebr when I lent my VB SLE to my girl friend once day. She drove it very nicely (cable clutch manual M21 with 4.2) got a phoner call from RACV...

do you permit ms xxxx xxxxx to use your membership, yes why, car has broken down and is very noisey. Asked her to patch me through, had a three way conversation, her words were driving along here a big bang, lots of smoke out the back and knocking noise out the front, told RACV to send a tow truck and pick my car up, they stated that they needed to send roadside first....

Roadside got there aand asked she to start the car, she refused and stated that the motor had blown up, he argued with her (probably because she was a girl and what would she know, so he started it, and then promptedly turned it off, then requested the tow truck, long storey short, pulled the motor down to find that the piston in cylinder 7 had crack around the oil rings and turned sideways in the bore, next stroke threw the top of the piston threw the head, rod was ok and everything else was toast. big end bearing had been ovaled as well. Threw the lot out.

That was the second run in I had with RACV the first was with my RX3, went for a drive and it stopped. I knew what was wrong and needed tools whihc were in my other car. Roadside came out and firstly tried to lift the bonnet the wrong way (hinges at the front not the back dummy) then once the bonnet was up pointed at the motor and stated what the hell is that. I at that point stated to step away from my car. I asked him if I could borrow his tools to fix my issue, he stated he was the only one qualified to be able to use tools on a car roadside. I came back with ok, you have two choices, a leave and I ring you supervisor and tell him how wonderfully trained you are and that I am still roadsode broken with no help or give me the tools let me fix it and we then both get on our way. He saw it my way and chose the second option. I fixed it in 10 minute with the guy staring at me the whole time. he was very confused and even more so when it started....heheh brap brap (12A PP) yummy

cheers
oldn64
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah little bit like this one is seems. This is the one that punched the cam lobes. Can't see that in the pics though but you get an idea on the bang this one must of made. Still started first go and seem to drive ok apart from the knocking noise and horrific vibration.

DSC01660.JPG
DSC01661.JPG
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Man how far do some people drive after a noise starts. That's a classic.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Charlescrown wrote:Man how far do some people drive after a noise starts. That's a classic.
Trust me some people will only stop if the car does. We actually see this at the track too, car starts to make a slight noise, so they ignore it and keep going because it is so much effort to come into the pits and investigate so let's keep driving. all of a sudden BANG, part not contained. what peeves me more is when they then dont get off the racing line and continue to try and limp it back to the pits dropping oil the whole way, clean up time for use because someone else wants to share their bad day :(

cheers
oldn64
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Charlescrown wrote:Man how far do some people drive after a noise starts. That's a classic.

Some failures happen in an instant, but for sure lots of people do this and ignore issues.

My brother's gf and him drove her moms car until it blew up after it ran out of oil, and ignored it trying to make it another 30km to the shops or something and its grenaded and put big dents in the firewall from the rods one by one putting a leg out. Bloody disgraceful.

The engine I put a pick up was a ex skid car, effectively trying to blow it up. I just love how much damage it did taking the entire side of the block off and it still ran :lol: Buick ftw! I bought it like this just for the T5 which I still have to this day, the T5 that is.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:My brother's gf and him drove her moms car until it blew up after it ran out of oil, and ignored it trying to make it another 30km to the shops or something and its grenaded and put big dents in the firewall from the rods one by one putting a leg out. Bloody disgraceful.
That is just sad and so wrong, how some people disrespect other people's property is beyond me. I could not do it. I have taught my wife to check the oil before she starts the car, dont know how many time this has saved me. Have dont it when borrowing things as well. it just the right thing to do.

no your look after it!

cheers
oldn64

PS: think i might have got on a soapbox a little..... sorry.