psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Re: Little workshop of horrors

Post by psyolent »

Ken, i'd refuse to build that to be honest mate.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

I'm with you tanner !
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I don't get what exactly we are looking at, looks like upholstery no matter how hard I try to visualize what it is.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The top edge of the bore where it's been hit with something by the looks of things?
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

immortality wrote:The top edge of the bore where it's been hit with something by the looks of things?
Yep, looks like the boring or honing bar hasn't been taken out with care and has chipped the top of the bore taking a gouge out. I've seen some machine shops run a chamfer attachment to remove stuff ups like that but I think that one is to big to hide.
Ken

Post by Ken »

psyolent wrote:Ken, i'd refuse to build that to be honest mate.
For anyone other than the person I'm building it for, I'd kick it to the kerb & chase another block.
This fellow does my rego's & other tasks, he want's to risk filling it & trying his luck, he knows the possible outcome is a failure that'll probably
torch the head with it, & he's paying for the job like any other, if it goes, we start again I guess...
MAGP wrote:Yep, looks like the boring or honing bar hasn't been taken out with care and has chipped the top of the bore taking a gouge out. I've seen some machine shops run a chamfer attachment to remove stuff ups like that but I think that one is to big to hide.
I cleaned the deck with the scotchbrite pad in the drill prior to getting it decked so I could seal a peice of perspex on the deck to CC the piston dish an inch down the bore,
can't say I remember seeing it then, just after it came back from being decked, & suspiciously all 3 in the same radial position.
Leaves me wondering if the speed of the chop, the amount chopped in one hit, or whether the block has been extreme heat affected in it's life.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yuck. it might seal up i guess - normally the headgasket has a little bit of wiggle room, if its proud of that mate it might be right.
all 3 cyls in the same position sounds like a machining issue / maybe the cutter was shagged out although that said they do operate in a radial pattern unless there was a lip in the static component that dragged across the block until they realised ...
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Whats the hot spot on the side of the rod?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Well spotted, thats where the bend was hitting the bottom of the bore :shock:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...