cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Little workshop of horrors

Post by vlad01 »

IMG_0551.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Not a good day in this workshop: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cs8cY7PAkwS/
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

That's aweful, FUNNY AS HECK, but just aweful!

I SOMEHOW do NOT think the customer wanted their car "Flame Broiled" like a Whopper!

Mike
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Wow! I love how he even bothers with a fire extinguisher haha. Been there, done that! They don't work on fuel fires like this.

Should have got the fire hose assuming they had one.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Lifting the car was the worst thing to do, feed the fire some oxygen. At work we always had fire extinguishers on hand when welding anywhere other than the welding bay and someone ready to use them.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I had a fire like this but maybe 1/2 to 2/3 that size and I got my extinguisher from my VW buggy at the time, it literally did nothing. Ended up running around the property 3-4 acres of garden to find a hose and drag it to the car. This was maybe 3-5 min into the fire and it was well alight. That put it out pretty quick and they say water is a no no for fuel fires but actually works very well if you have enough water. Oil fires might be what they are confusing it with.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Depends on the extinguisher type and capacity.

We had to do training at work putting out actual fires on a training rig fed with LPG. Your average small 1.5kg extinguisher is going to struggle with a decent fire in an open space. OK for a small fire under the bonnet but that is about it and if the fire is been fed fuel it's a hard ask.

At home we have multiple 1.5kg as well as a 4kg ABE extinguishers in the garage. Dry powder used to the the extinguisher of choice but these days I'd recommend foam as it does a much better job at smothering a fire than dry powder and the foam isn't corrosive and much easier to clean up after. It's just a shame you don't get them in smaller sizes as I'd much prefer that in my car than powder. Just don't use it on an electrical fire.

It's also good to have an extinguisher fitted with a hose, for car fires, pop the bonnet but don't lift it ( that will feed the fire O2), stick the hose under the bonnet and let rip.