Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: ugly business practice

Post by immortality »

You'll be right, just don't upload nude selfies/pics as those are what seemed to get hacked on cloud services :)
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The only thing I guess would be considered cloud with my own files would be the photobucket photos for hosting and linking from forums only. That said, they are only the cherry picked relevant pics and I have them on my drive plus all the extra ones in between and not only that, I have them backed on another physical drive which is also cloned as well and sitting (though way out dated) in a cupboard somewhere on another drive again. Also have the same pics on the phone as well. So I have multiple copies everywhere of my own personal files.

My worry actually is what happens once I migrate over to SSD? how reliable are they? mechanical drives are just so damn rock solid. I'll still have a mechanical drive for backup but since you can still lose a ton from a main drive going down its got me worried a little.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

When SSD's fail they fail, no getting data back unless someone has come up with a way to read the storage memory, Standard Spinning hard disks even when they have failed you can still most of the time get data back, sometimes swapping the controller board from another hdd of the same make and model, other times it's the motor/heads, and there are places that do internal swaps for around $1000 to get it running to copy the data off. But as i say at work, if there isn't 3 copies it doesn't exist. I have seen a few times people backing up, both the backup drive and the main drive fail. I still backup using blueray for long term. Short term i have a usb3 to SATA cable, i plug bare HDD's in and backup to those, spinning disks are so cheap. At work i have stacks of disks and servers in multiple locations for backups.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

I have 1 ssd and it is my OS drive in my tuning laptop, I don't save data to ssd drives.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

MAGP wrote:I have 1 ssd and it is my OS drive in my tuning laptop, I don't save data to ssd drives.
True that!
I ripped out my CD-drive and replaced it with a second HDD which I store everything on, plus is also synced with dropbox ect.

The main drive is SSD, which has the OS and applications, thats about it.

Unbelievable the difference the SSD does for performance though. Use to take 5+minutes to boot in and have all loaded. Would be about less than 20seconds from complete off now.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

SSD has come of age, mostly they are pretty reliable, but you still always need backups. I avoided ssd for the first 2 or 3 years when they came out but now i put them in everything for the OS and software with spinning hard disks for backups and large quantity of data. I tend to go brand name ssd - either samsung or intel, though i do have a linux server thats got a $60 kingston 60gb with a few years of full time use on it now, no problems. Kingston tend to buy up cheap chips and build to a price point so its hard to know whats inside, but this one has been solid. Source: https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918 If using linux, its worth setting noatime to not record file access times, this cuts down the amount of writes considerably which in theory extends the life. The SSD chipsets are pretty smart though, they re-allocate blocks to even out the areas that get thrashed, and they have more capacity than advertised so they can disable bad flash and keep running (similar to what spinning HDDs do there).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yep. We now run 120Gb SSD drives in all our laptops. I store all my pics and stuff on the laptop but it is all backed up on a NAS drive and external HD. The 500Gb HD's that came out of the laptops are also used for external storage/backups. In effect I have 3 copies off all the important stuff.