antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Laptop boot fault after flat battery

Post by antus »

Sounds like power pack, or power supply circuit on the main board. Like its trying to start (or charge) but cant get enough current to do so. Hard to test without another compatible power supply though. If its close to 12v you might have options but most are 19v now.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Still no change. tried other ram modules although they are from an older machine so not sure if they are compatible. with the old ram module it does power up and the screen does not pulse.

The HD is spinning up.

Tried another HD out of my old laptop, it powers up, spins up the HD and then stops again after a few seconds.

Put the original ram and HD back in and exactly as before. powers up, fan spins, HD spins and the screen flashes faintly once per second :(

Fault is the same with battery and/or power supply connected. Will test with my supply.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I have swapped power backs over. No change at this stage. I'm going to leave it to charge and see what it does. The only other option is to put his HD in my machine as I have a slightly newer version of his machine.
immortality

Post by immortality »

HD seems fine, just plugged it into my laptop using external HD case and it's accessible although his user files are protected so not sure how to access those yet.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Get a Live CD or Live USB (depending on your boot order). If the unlikely event of the boot loader on the hard drive is faulty a Live CD or Live USB will let the machine boot.
immortality

Post by immortality »

What would happen if I remove the BIOS battery?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

immortality wrote:HD seems fine, just plugged it into my laptop using external HD case and it's accessible although his user files are protected so not sure how to access those yet.
Im able to plug into my old hdd via external sata drive (After swapping to SSD) and don't have problems getting into the files?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
immortality

Post by immortality »

OK. so the machine has been on charge for a couple of hours now but the battery light was still showing as charging. Anyway decided to try booting again but before I did I pushed and held the little reset button on the motherboard and now the machine has booted up normally as if it's just awoken from the sleep state with everything open when the problem occurred. We have backed up all the critical files he needs for uni so now I'm shutting it down and waiting to see if the battery charges up correctly.

Tazzi wrote:
immortality wrote:HD seems fine, just plugged it into my laptop using external HD case and it's accessible although his user files are protected so not sure how to access those yet.
Im able to plug into my old hdd via external sata drive (After swapping to SSD) and don't have problems getting into the files?
Yes, I had the exact same result when I put SSD in my laptop.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

antus wrote:Sounds like power pack, or power supply circuit on the main board. Like its trying to start (or charge) but cant get enough current to do so. Hard to test without another compatible power supply though. If its close to 12v you might have options but most are 19v now.

I was thinking the same thing. Switch mode PSUs do the exact same thing when they fault, they blip on briefly every sec or so in an endless cycle.

I had a few PCs in my time do this but laptops? Do they use DC-DC convertor system? If so I suppose that could do the same as a switch mode.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:What would happen if I remove the BIOS battery?
nothing much other that setting reset, time/date , boot priority and what ever minimal things a laptop would allow to adjust.
You could get a "CMOS checksum error, defaults loaded" message, that is if the bios setting were corrupt and causing this issue in the first place.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.