Laptop boot fault after flat battery

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Laptop boot fault after flat battery

Post by immortality »

Well it's doing it again this morning :(

Now that it is daylight hours you can see the screen starts pulsing once per second almost immediately on boot up.

Found the paper work and we've only had the damn thing for about 15 months.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Take it back. Australian consumer law "Fit For Purpose" exceeds any warranty period. You'll get it fixed or a new one.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah it's looking like that will be the only solution. I will test it with my old HD first. about an hour ago my boy got up and turned it on. It sort of booted. It got the the ACER screen, then it came up with a Windows message saying Windows had encountered an error but before we could take a picture off it it reverted back to the black pulsing screen.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

immortality wrote:Yeah it's looking like that will be the only solution. I will test it with my old HD first. about an hour ago my boy got up and turned it on. It sort of booted. It got the the ACER screen, then it came up with a Windows message saying Windows had encountered an error but before we could take a picture off it it reverted back to the black pulsing screen.
If you get the Acer screen then the motherboard is working (at that point in time). If you get a Windows message saying Windows has encountered a problem then your system is operating from the hard drive and then failing. Get a Live CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html) and check to see if it will boot from a Live CD or Live USB, you may need to change boot order, thereby bypassing the hard drive and Windows. If it boots runs some tests. If you open the machine up, which it seems you already have, you may not be entitled to any replacement as the manufacturer will probably claim the system broke because of tampering.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

If you have made a windows repair disc which I think is the same as MAGP is talking about then yea reset the bios boot sequence and see what happens. Probably like most preloaded machines you don't get the original windows disc.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

The download I linked to above is a full OS on a CD with tools to use to diagnose hardware problems. A Windows Repair Disc (WRD) is just a disc to repair Windows and reinstall it if need be. You can't use, as far as I am aware, a WRD as a live system.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

If its a bad solder joint on the motherboard though you might do more damage to the contents of the HDD. This doesnt sound like a windows problem, I dont think i'd go the windows fix route until the hardware is stable.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
wozza
cars: VR commodore

Post by wozza »

Acer use to have a setup were the bios would use the main battery to extend the bios battery life and wouldn't come up till a certain voltage is meet on the main battery. As the laptop is less than 2 years old the bios battery should be fine and it doesn't explain the pulsing of the screen, unless some bios setting is causing issues but Ill stuffed if I can think of any that could......I think the video chip reflow soldering has gone off happens due to excess heat and age....google "laptop oven tick" if your game ;) done it a few times and it does work...sometimes :D
immortality

Post by immortality »

I too think it's a hardware fault and possibly the gpu. Now when you boot it up nothing happens on the screen.

That oven trick looks interesting but I don't think I'm game to test it. This acer doesn't have a separate graphics card instead it's all on the motherboard :(

To me the acer laptops do seem to run very hot, I bought my other boy an ASUS one with similar specs and it barely gets warm in comparison.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

deffo hardware. not WinOS.
sounds heat related TBH. ie: runs for a bit then toasts. any heatsinks that are loose/dried out thermal paste on core components or fans that arent spinnning (fans)
my old 17" MBP runs hot, depending on load, it sees 80 degrees - somuchso now i have a fan program to OD the fans to help cool it down. when the fans are going it comes back to under 50.
i'm not a fan of acer. my current employ used to buy them as standard machines. not any more, now they have lenoblo which are just as shit.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.