XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

c64c revival - currently dead

Post by psyolent »

Hey

Just after some thoughts.
My C64C i got some time ago (as DOA) is well still DOA :D

Powered it up with known good PSU. grey screen. nothing much else. RAM chips hot as hell. shut off. desoldered them (known issue as they fail)

Started buzzing out the traces to make sure everything is ok. +5VDC and GND have continuity. WTF?

Most of the chips on the c64c are soldered on board (minus 2) - i've removed them and still same, short somewhere.

Don't know if another chip has shorted, or, whats going on .... could always plug back it now the RAM chips are gone and see what gets hot next, but, nah, not really.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
wozza
cars: VR commodore

Re: c64c revival - currently dead

Post by wozza »

Oh my your game :) I left the C64 back in the 80's were they belong, hell most of the games you can play on a pc via an emulator (even thats painful :D )
easier just to find a few donners and try and make a decent working one...they pop up on ebay for a few $$$ now and again
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Commodore-64 ... SwN6JY~sA7
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Re: c64c revival - currently dead

Post by psyolent »

like VSH and his retro AMD rig.
i have 12 amigas and a 64.
well its a challenge. the ram chips are toast, so they're off the board. continuity between +5VDC is not 0 ohms, north (ie: PSU end) to GND is 10 ohms, directly downward of the +5VDC in is, you guessed it, a 10 ohm resistor.
have sent it to a guy with a tone ohm to check for dead shorts but i don't think he will find any
i got a couple of 18 pin sockets yesterday so i can seat the new memory in the board when it comes back :)
dead ram chips are common on the C64C so hopefully its a nice fix.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.