Server/Networking Possibilities - Can it be done?

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: Server/Networking Possibilities - Can it be done?

Post by VK_3800 »

antus wrote:Note that RDesktop is shitloads faster then VNC, <...>
Unfortunately true, and is often the decision maker on slow connections. However there are hidden complications with MS remote desktop which can be a major hindrance. For example they deliberately disable mobile device hardware/services while logged in via remote desktop (real handy when you're trying to develop software for that particular device), media players don't work correctly (anti-piracy...?) etc.

I'm surprised all your hardware passes through to the VM actually, usually don't have much luck with those either.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

VK_3800 wrote:I'm surprised all your hardware passes through to the VM actually, usually don't have much luck with those either.
So far I havent had a single issue with any device connected through VM. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

I use vmware player with winxp as my tuning os for certain tools on my win10 laptop. Never had any cpu issues like you are describing though.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Got an XP setup as well, same dealio.

Its not a constant 100% CPU, but its high up there when using different tools. Its all workable, but not to a standard Im happy with.

I literally feel like the bunny in this scene
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SmyATAYsNs[/youtube]
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

do you have the hypervisor enabled in your bios? that is supposed to help virtual machines lots. a lot of pcs come from factory with hypervisor disabled.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Jayme wrote:do you have the hypervisor enabled in your bios? that is supposed to help virtual machines lots. a lot of pcs come from factory with hypervisor disabled.
Will check that shortly :thumbup:
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yep. VT/VXd extensions in your BIOS for ESXi.

Interesting use case.
Hows the VCM2 connect to your machine now. Sorry I don't know it but guessing USB or serial redirect.
That will pass thru to your VM ; and ; the rest is history. It will work fine locally.
I think network will be your biggest challenge here. If you can get a good 4G connection you might be OK though. In a previous life we were cutting branches over to 4G and ADSL/BDSL away from expensive MPLS/VPLS. Did i tell you i fucking hate Telstra?

Couple of things come to mind.
1. Teradici I worked with some years ago developed PCoIP solutions which did USB pass through to a server back end. You had a thin client with thinOS which the USB PCIVEN etc was sent back over IP to the server to process. A certain bank was looking into this for their pinpads. Worked quite well, but required PCoIP terminals and VMware View (4.x days)

Now this is a long shot.
2. USB OR serial IP redirect. you can get devices which will redirect your comms over IP back to a VM. They do work. However, I think, the lag (or latency) like you pointed out might be a show stopper. If you could set up a VPN to tunnel into your home over 4G then send all your comms over it you might be in there with a chance. They make these things for dongles and shit to license software that used to sit in the back of servers for legacy old applications, thats why they exist.

Cloud. Latency might get you - depends where you host. Plus cost if you leave it on all the time is not as cheap as you think - its a fucking scam.

A server like that old SUN box will CHEW tonnes of power and the fans in them are noisy as shit. Don't. Get an Intel NUC. They are awesome, support vSphere (ESXi) and have plenty of grunt. One of my guys at work has just bought a unit I can get you the spec if you want. He chucked a massive CPU in it though.

Heres a thought for you. Carputer. You have to travel where your shit is. Stick a decently sized ESX whitebox or NUC in your boot. 4G USB of WiFi access point. Sync back to home when you get there via WiFi / backup OR have a removable SSD. Plug the VCM thing into the Carputer then RDP to a VM and have local passthru?

Hope some of my ramble helps?
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

As for how the comms work - vcm 2/mdi etc provide a usb ethernet interface physically in the device then pc comms layer is ip. Thats also how they support ethernet and wifi on models with the hardware. The device is an embedded linux machine talking ip to the pc software. I cant speak for vcm 1 though, it could be something else.

The devices are basically the same too. I got my gm mdi talking to ford ids with pc side registry and driver hackery. For all i could see it was working looking for the car but i didnt have a ford to test against. Ok tangent on. Sorry....

Heres a pic of that hybrid combination. I love the mix of red and blue device icons. I think hell freezed over. :lol:

I had a GM '0411 connected so IDS couldnt identify it but the relays were clicking in the MDI and it appeared to be doing exactly what I expected with the right timing looking for a ford device.
vcmdi2.png
vcmdi2.png (26.67 KiB) Viewed 6063 times
gm-mdi win2.png
device search2.png
identifier.png
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

psyolent wrote:A server like that old SUN box will CHEW tonnes of power and the fans in them are noisy as shit. Don't. Get an Intel NUC. They are awesome, support vSphere (ESXi) and have plenty of grunt. One of my guys at work has just bought a unit I can get you the spec if you want. He chucked a massive CPU in it though.

Heres a thought for you. Carputer. You have to travel where your shit is. Stick a decently sized ESX whitebox or NUC in your boot. 4G USB of WiFi access point. Sync back to home when you get there via WiFi / backup OR have a removable SSD. Plug the VCM thing into the Carputer then RDP to a VM and have local passthru?

Hope some of my ramble helps?
Your ramblings are sweet gold. Its information like that I need to hear since.. well.. I know next to nothing about servers other than their essentially high end computers.

Intel NUC.. right.. neat little package I must say!. Now thats what I call a car PC!

Looks like I have alot of research ahead of me...
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

We use the NUC PC's at my work they're great little unit's. They're on 24/7 never turned off or re booted hold up a treat.