Server/Networking Possibilities - Can it be done?

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Server/Networking Possibilities - Can it be done?

Post by vlad01 »

Tazzi wrote:I was looking into a dedicated desktop, tower setup with some good graphics. But... I don't intend to do hardcore gaming on it.. so I think the NUC is actually going to be perfect.
Need to nut out how to have dual screens on current setup though. Got a BENQ monitor currently and going to get a second one. The NUC appears to have the one HDMI out, dont think my monitor has a HDMI out to connect another from it.
if you are willing to wait a a bit, AMD are pumping out ridiculously powerful low power CPUs atm, lower power consumption, higher data and multi threading performance than intel and like half the price on average.

Their lower/mainstream end APUs will have decent graphics and very low TDP with multicore and SMT, so that will make a good system for laptops to come.

I'm personally waiting for their HEDT range called thread ripper, looking at the 16c/32T monster CPU lol Just because I can.

Or you if you wanted a real server you can wait for the server chips to come soon, 32c/64T with half a gig of cache :shh: wipes the floor 2 times over the current top of the line xeons

That would be expensive though :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah thats all true, but what applications run 64 threads? What machines run enough multi threaded applications to even come close to that? Good for a certain type of workload. But pick your price point and # of cores I guess.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's meant for 2+ CPU server platforms, so 32c/64t, 64c/128t, 128c/256t etc... many TB of ram support as well.
Each socket has 4094 pins. Just nuts.

Meant for data centers, research computers, AI etc.. Not your average business or home shit.

I would be expecting to see these in places like oil/gas, medical, physics research, in commercial printer main control boards and a like.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

vlad01 wrote:That's meant for 2+ CPU server platforms, so 32c/64t, 64c/128t, 128c/256t etc... many TB of ram support as well.
Each socket has 4094 pins. Just nuts.

Meant for data centers, research computers, AI etc.. Not your average business or home shit.

I would be expecting to see these in places like oil/gas, medical, physics research, in commercial printer main control boards and a like.
Maaaaaybbbbe overkill for my purposes! :lol:

I think Im going with option E of all of this. And go with a NUC for the bench/work desk.
Will migrate everything off of my current work laptop, wipe and start from scratch with a couple OS's loaded onto it.

Id still like to do something with a dedicated server setup. Something about that screams out 'this could be useful'.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Im really liking the idea of a NUC. Looking at buying from Amazon along with needed SSD and RAM. Im a bit scared the RAM is going to be faulty, since every single RAM provider seems to have had bad batches which cause major memory errors. Literally looked at every review for all the big brands.

Anyways, to the point. Has anyone looked into eGPU? External GPUS, which connect up to the USB-C connectors. Seems to be the leading way for grabbing more GPU in these ultra small PCs or even laptops
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

out of curiosity, I didnt hear back from you checking your bios for the virtualisation options? I assume it was enabled already or it didnt make a difference to performance?
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Is buying a NUC from amazon a cheaper option than buying one locally either from Intel themselves or a local supplier?
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Jayme wrote:out of curiosity, I didnt hear back from you checking your bios for the virtualisation options? I assume it was enabled already or it didnt make a difference to performance?
Oh yeah, I did check. Was already enabled in bios :thumbup:
MAGP wrote:Is buying a NUC from amazon a cheaper option than buying one locally either from Intel themselves or a local supplier?
From what Iv found yeah, can get cheaper from U.S
But, since its for work, I think it does actually end up cheaper from Aus after tax/gst claim ect.