Arduino - where to start

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Arduino - where to start

Post by immortality »

Hi Guys,

After seeing the robotic arm Jayme made and seeing as I wanted to get back into doing some coding I thing Arduino would be a good platform to start with.

Any recommendations on where to get one as it seems there are plenty of cheap copies out there?

Any advice or recommendations happily accepted :)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Arduino - where to start

Post by antus »

Get anything, but decide what you want to try and do first as that'll help you pick which model, which language to program in etc etc.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
wozza
cars: VR commodore

Post by wozza »

Have you thought of using the raspberry pi ?
http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computi ... ts-1311001
heaps of add-ons these days and linux isnt to hard to learn :D
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

+1 for rPi.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

The Arduino forum and website has heaps of good resources regardless of your starting skill level. Ive found the forum much like this one, heaps of helpful knowledgeable people willinveveg to help even for some basic questions to help someone get started.

There are plenty of ebay ones that are the good quality with a very low entry price. If you've never done this sort of thing before, I'd suggest one of the models used by the tutorials so you can follow exactly till you're familiar.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

All of the above. But different problems can and should be solved different ways. If you want a random thing yes, no more to add. But I find for practical application pick and provide a practical problem first, then we can help choose a solution then study that. Eg a high level web problem is very different from a logic problem on a device with no os and limited ram.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Im using Arduino and learning how to code with them at them moment. So far so good, with help from Jase ive been able to program two arduinos to be able to simulate PPK pulses and RPM pulses to drive my clusters for LED conversions and few other cool little things im working on atm.
Once you learn the language it seems to get easier and easier

Im currently using Arduino Uno's
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

What antus said is spot on.

Come up with a project first. If you have a goal, then that means you have a direction to move towards and keep learning. Its hard to code for the sake of it.. without having some sort of idea on what you want to develop.

Youtube is absolutely littered with guide and tutorials showing how to use basic features. These do come in handy, but tend to learn more hands on when trying to code at the beginning. Once you know the basics, just a matter of tieing it all together!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Is anybody familiar with HRV ventilation systems? They have a very basic control panel with very limited function. I looked at upgrading to one of there newer control panels but they still don't do everything I think it should do and costs many hundreds of $$$. I was thinking maybe I could make my own panel.

It's probably a bit more involved as the controller needs to be able to take 2 temp readings and control ventilation fans which are 230volt. The standard control panel connects with a basic data cable and is probably only 12 volt but I haven't checked it yet. I might need to take the cover off the 230volt control panel and see what is in there also.