Wireless VPN Router

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Wireless VPN Router

Post by pman92 »

Nothing car related but thought I would ask this here as I know there's plenty of switched on people who will know.

I'm looking to set up a second wireless router with a VPN.
I haven't done this before but do have basic experience with wireless networks.

I want to keep the existing modem/router unchanged (as we share it), and connect a second router to it (preferably wirelessly, is there such a thing as a router with wireless WAN?) that has been setup for the VPN, and then connect the smart TV to the secondary router to use the VPN while everything else remains connectedness to the primary one to access the internet as normal.

Where do I start? What router do I get? What VPN service is recommended?

Any help or advice appreciated
Thanks
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Jayme

Re: Wireless VPN Router

Post by Jayme »

Is there a reason you need to use a vpn on your tv? You want to use usa netflix or something?
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Normally the 2nd unit is an access point and it is connected to the primary router via a Cat cable. I haven't heard, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, of an access point connecting to a primary router wirelessly though. I think you can run OpenVPN on a router/access point flashed with dd-wrt. I wouldn't use a new router but if you can get a good 2nd hand router that is in the dd-wrt compatible hardware list you should be right.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

pman92 wrote:is there such a thing as a router with wireless WAN?
Yes, some manufacturers use the term "Bridge with AP/Access Point". Becoming more common in units capable of multiple wireless networks but not always supported, if you get a router that can run OpenWRT or DD-WRT as mentioned above it can make things easier in this department. Make sure you do your research on compatibility though, often manufacturers make major hardware changes in what appears to be only slightly different versions of the same product.

Great for switching the home network to run off my mobile phone hotspot when the ADSL goes down.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Spark ADSL going down, NEVER :rant:

I have to replace my modem as it has issues reconnecting when the system goes down for any period of time. Considering getting one of these https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MODNGR ... rt-1-x-LAN I already have a nice ASUS router so don't need a fancy modem/router combo and it looks like it will probably be at least another year before we get fibre in our street :comp:
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

A lot of all-in-one ADSL routers aren't that great, I run a good single port ADSL modem that does PPPoE pass-through, and a proper router behind it.

It can help get the last few bps of connection speed matching the chipset vendor with the DSLAM, but I'm so far away (like absolute end of line, 52dB loop attenuation!) that speed sucks regardless and would rather have a stable connection.
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

I agree with this approach as being the most flexible and stable. I use the Sophos UTM Home firewall - it is an enterprise solution that is licensed for 50 IP addresses free to try and get IT professionals to used to it...

Well worth the effort to set it up on a small PC.

Simon
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

52db isn't that bad. My line is that bad it can't support dialup and barely a phone so we got the line disconnected. My half brother across the paddock (500m) closer to the exchange which actually gets his line from our pit so ends up having 500m more line that is at a approximate 11km from the exchange and he gets an ok connection at about 65db. Max speed is 0.7Mbit down and some sort dial up speed up.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah thats right. You can get way better SNR out in the bush over long distances because the noise is significantly reduced from less population density generally meaning less sources of interfearance, including less digital lines in the same cable length.

Its interesting when you break it down to SNR by carrier frequency though. Generally the signal falls off at higher frequencies, but the modem often needs to notch around interference sources which could be resonant frequencies from connectors in the line or other strong interference sources. To show this, this is my line (5.5kms) in the CBD. I get somwhere between 5.5 and 6.5 mbit, and I see significantly different SNR (and speeds) after the rain due to Telstra doing an insufficient job time and time again of repair work to the line. (Asus N55U modem, stock firmware)
Attachments
2017-05-22 modem snr good in the dry.png
2017-05-22 modem snr good in the dry.png (43.53 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

And a comparison after the water gets in.

Its a pitty the ISP doesnt really understand what Im on about when I email the graphs and try to explain it to them :(
Attachments
2017-05-28 modem snr bad - day after heavy rain.png
2017-05-28 modem snr bad - day after heavy rain.png (38.99 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396