The PC hardware thread(s)=(now with SMT support)

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: The PC hardware thread(s)=(now with SMT support)

Post by vlad01 »

Problem is that it is broken. If it runs like shit despite top end hardware then there is a problem. Heaps of examples of that but in the last few months of this new zen CPUs there has been a flurry of code optimisation and patched with remarkable results. Mostly games but other aps too and I think this is great and finally pushing forward the multicore development we have needed over a decade ago because the intel offering for so long favoured development towards low core count and high frequency and was holding back progress in general.

Good affordable hardware needs to exist first before software follows suit.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

vlad01 wrote:The biggest chance we have seen is the massive upset in the CPU market AMD have caused this year with their great line up of consumer and pro-sumer CPUs which have totally caught Intel by surprise and they screwed for a good while I reckon. from 4c/4t ultra low end to the casual high end platform of 16c/32t at what will be a very good price.
I wouldnt say totally caught by surprise, but maybe napping a little. Intel now has the i9 in the current gen scheduled for release in a few months. Fair few more cores than the lower end Intel CPUs, but yes all at the high end of the line up compared to AMDs offerings which has really upset the apple cart in the low-mid price range. Will likely help drive software development even faster with Intel CPUs capable of also using a properly written multi thread app for these high core counts (the AMD Ryzen CPUs are crazy).

Good summary here .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... processors
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well, they actually don't. They only will have up to the 12 core on current skylake x or what ever it is gen. The 14-18 core will come from the server line up of broadwell E architecture and won't be seen until next year some time, also rumored to need another socket again becsue the TDP will be too much for the new x299 design. And if you look at the spec'd 18 core xeon which btw is an almost $9000 USD part at max of 2.6Ghz turbo and something like 2.3 or 2.4 on base at 165W. To compete with the 16 core zen it will need to clock at about 4.2-4.5 to beat the 16 core zen even with the 2 extra cores as already seen with the broadwell E architecture (1800X matching up with 6950X a 10 core cpu stock for stock, also 95w AMD vs 140W intel). So the tdp will have to be well over 200W mark. Good luck to them I say. These big ass monolithic intel chips are extremely low yield so price scales exponentially with their core count. With AMD's design they have near perfect linear scaling performance with the infinity fabric from 8 all the way to 64 cores before linearity starts to show a diminish. So AMD's production and yields are not effected by core count. The new 16 core cost them about 110-120 USD to make, including chips, package and testing, boxing etc... and sell this one for a semi confirmed 850 bucks Intel won't be able to compete with price unless they run at a loss or very low margins.

The thing is though intel weren't completely asleep with ryzen (the 8 core) hence the skylake x up to 12 core stuff. But AMD just out of no where played their 16 core and beyond trap card. This is where the big shake up is and I personally have done a tone of analyzing and research in to both companies and personally this is a massive blow to intel which they will take a long time to come back from. They fucked on on so many levels its not funny, just bad business decisions one after another. This isn't just on the desktop but the biggest fuck up in the server and commercial market where all the money is and the opposition is swooping in like no tomorrow, the market is being stolen right out of their hand.

Only a good thing as this will bring big innovation and progress at much lower cost to the masses. Ie, you and me and every man and his dog.

All we need is something like this in the GPU market now, not that we had stagnant progress there but prices are just bs. Not even top end cards are well over 1k where 5 years ago it was 500 bucks, because there was healthy competition.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

VL400 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:The biggest chance we have seen is the massive upset in the CPU market AMD have caused this year with their great line up of consumer and pro-sumer CPUs which have totally caught Intel by surprise and they screwed for a good while I reckon. from 4c/4t ultra low end to the casual high end platform of 16c/32t at what will be a very good price.
I wouldnt say totally caught by surprise, but maybe napping a little. Intel now has the i9 in the current gen scheduled for release in a few months. Fair few more cores than the lower end Intel CPUs, but yes all at the high end of the line up compared to AMDs offerings which has really upset the apple cart in the low-mid price range. Will likely help drive software development even faster with Intel CPUs capable of also using a properly written multi thread app for these high core counts (the AMD Ryzen CPUs are crazy).

Good summary here .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... processors
And what a mess that i9 seems to be atm.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE[/youtube]
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

lol yeah I've seen that one.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This is quite good.

No shortage of features on this platform.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRbWmkHuwes[/youtube]