psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Re: Pi-Hole

Post by psyolent »

yep. which is customisable to add more shit in there too.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Well I've got the Rpi fired up this morning. Installing pi-hole now. Took a little while to figure out how to type the "|", not used it before and it was showing a different symbol. Eventually discovered I needed to change the keyboard configuration to a US one?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Well it looks like we have successfully got it working.

Configuring the ASUS router seems simple enough, set the "Connect to DNS server automatically" to NO and then entered the IP address for the Rpi instead.

The only thing I'm not certain about is the static IP address bit?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Semi successful....

pi-hole is running fine but now I want to connect to the Rpi so I can reset the password as it seems I didn't copy the password correctly :(

Trying to remote to the Rpi via the network but this isn't working. Trying to use an app called PuTTY, coming up with a network error : connection refused ?
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

If you want something network wide why not just set it up on the router?
immortality

Post by immortality »

It is connected to the router.

Doing some googling, turns out SSH is disabled in the latest versions of Raspbian as a security feature and the cause of problems most likely. Looks like I'll need to add a file on the SD card etc to sort it out.
wozza
cars: VR commodore

Post by wozza »

Make sure your discoed from the net when you switch on ssh until you change the password...there is a virus targeting pi's via the default user/passwords....
you can switch on ssh ect via the desktop through settings
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

If you dont know the passwords, I dont think you'll be able to get access over the network. I'd suggest plugging in the HDMI to a TV and a usb keyboard/mouse from your PC to revisit the first time setup. It should boot to desktop with no password, then you can use the pi configuration from the menu to turn on ssh and tweak other settings.

The default user is 'pi' which is a regular user (non administrator aka non root), and will prompt you for the existing password when you wish to change it. You need root access (admin in the unix world) to be able to set a password without knowing the old one. There is a program sudo (super user do) which allows you to run things as root, including another whole terminal. This application is designed to elevate your privileges. The pi is configured so that the 'pi' user is allowed to run sudo without providing a password. In more serious systems/servers sudo would require a password. This is a convenience feature the pi foundation has provided.

Here is an example of me ssh'ing in to my pi3 and resetting the password for the pi user and root. Note that I did know the passwords to begin with but wanted to show you what to expect. Putty is a windows ssh client, so when you connect with putty you will get something similar to what I show here. You can do something similar once you get a shell/terminal by plugging in a screen/keyboard and running one from the graphical menu. Note how the user changes in the prompt after the "sudo -i" aka Super User DO.. Interactive shell.

Code: Select all

[ant@gemini ~]$ ssh pi@10.0.0.100
pi@10.0.0.100's password: <pi user password typed here but not echo'd to screen>

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sat Jun 17 16:11:06 2017 from 10.0.0.11
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo -i
root@raspberrypi:~# passwd pi
Enter new UNIX password: 
Retype new UNIX password: 
passwd: password updated successfully
root@raspberrypi:~# passwd root
Enter new UNIX password: 
Retype new UNIX password: 
passwd: password updated successfully
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality

Post by immortality »

It's only the password to the Pi-hole software I noted down incorrectly :(

Definitely changing the default passwords, not doing so is just asking for trouble.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Thought I'd post a pic of what Pi-hole has been up to on my system.
pi-hole.png