psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Re: Pi-Hole

Post by psyolent »

fuck immo you must visit some dodgy shit 2000+ DNS blocked lol.
mines been sitting at about the 1000 a day since i put it in, going strong
cheers antus for the p/w info ; yep ; ssh on most distros is disabled by default these days.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yeah, that's what I need to look at although I noticed a lot of pings from the chromecast on the TV and some stuff from the Yamaha AV system.

I also have a couple of teenagers that spend a lot of time online gaming etc

Definitely learning shit though so it's all good :)
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yeah mine are all bloody akamai so youtube from my 10 and 12 year old.
its amazing the chatty shit you have in your home without even knowing. so its a worthwhile investment is the old pi-hole.

learning shit = win. good stuff.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'm finding most of my blocked DNS occur when using news websites although a fair few local ads are still coming through (which ABP catch) Looks like I'll need to start blacklisting a lot of the NZ domain advertisers.

There definitely seems to be a bit of shit happening on the network even when no-one is home.

Tomorrow when I'm home alone I'll take the network down and make some changes on the Rpi.

edit: It looks Pi-Hole is self learning as the number of blocked domains is slowly increasing :)
immortality

Post by immortality »

Pulled out the Rpi this morning. Reset all the required passwords etc, plugged back into the network and I have full access to Pi-hole and can SSH into the Rpi from the network.

Success :)
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

immortality wrote:There definitely seems to be a bit of shit happening on the network even when no-one is home.
Have been running one on for awhile now on a ubuntu VM. My general browsing on PCs are through a VPN so dont get that many hits, normally a couple of hundred blocked per day. But its amazing how often my TV phones home and various android devices check for internet connectivity etc.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, I'm seeing a fair bit of the phone home/checking connectivity etc too.

I'm still getting a few ads through on some websites? Mostly on the MSN news website

Is it better to use the local ISP's DNS servers or stick with the google DNS?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

I tend to use OpenDNS (the pi-hole uses this too), dont confuse the name open with a company that is um open and open source though. Still a large corporation that collects a crapload of info, like the google DNS 8.8.8.8 does.

Open DNS address are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 if you want to try them.

Edit: if your ISP offers unmetered content then using anything other then the ISP provided DNS will stop this from working.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I still wonder if I haven't got my router configured quiet right yet.

I have changed the Pi-hole over to the OpenDNS servers as suggested. Fortunately they are already listed :)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Its worth mentioning ublock origin these days, as a competitor to add block pro. I hope you guys appreciate that absolutely nothing is blocked on this site though. No trackers, no adds, no google, no monitoring, nothing - just a plain fast web site. :thumbup:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396