hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Re: My gaming rig

Post by hsv08 »

Jayme wrote:start here:
http://www.x-sim.de/forum/portal.php

this thing can connect to most simluators, and extract the data, package it into OBD2 and then you can plug into it and read pid's as if it were a cars obd. you can also drive all sorts of phyiscal things through serial port control or serial to arduino commands etc.

a lot of people use it to drive a motion sim. I was playing a few weeks ago, getting the concept down pat and arduino code written before making my own life size version :D
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30RocMfDvfk[/youtube]
Wow Jayme that's wicked. I can't wait to see the bigger version of that!

As for xsim! I signed up and had a read. A lot there to take in!
So as far as I gather, I would download the xsim package right? Then the plugin for the sim I was wanting to extract from, then from there the plugin and xsim should broadcast the outgauges from the sim to whatever interface I would be using (arduino)?

If so and you are running xsim to arduino for your lego model, what do the out packets look like through the serial monitor before being turned into something useful?
Last edited by hsv08 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Time to go and buy some linear actuators :D
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Jayme wrote:start here:
http://www.x-sim.de/forum/portal.php

this thing can connect to most simluators, and extract the data, package it into OBD2 and then you can plug into it and read pid's as if it were a cars obd. you can also drive all sorts of phyiscal things through serial port control or serial to arduino commands etc.

a lot of people use it to drive a motion sim. I was playing a few weeks ago, getting the concept down pat and arduino code written before making my own life size version :D
:shock:

That is beyond awesome.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

hsv08 wrote: Wow Jayme that's wicked. I can't wait to see the bigger version of that!

So as far as I gather, I would download the xsim package right? Then the plugin for the sim I was wanting to extract from, then from there the plugin and xsim should broadcast the outgauges from the sim to whatever interface I would be using (arduino)?

If so and you are running xsim to arduino for your lego model, what do the out packets look like through the serial monitor before being turned into something useful?
yeah, it took me a while to figure it all out.... and some of it is still a little 'grey' lol. there wasnt a lot of documentation so many brainpowers and trial and error was involved.
https://github.com/X-Sim/X-PID-Arduino- ... or-control
this is where I started. I plan on using this for my full sized model.

for my lego model, I started a LOT simpler. x-sim has the power to take a defined 'output' and make it into an 8 bit or 16 bit value, and then spit that value up a serial port, either with or without some prefix values. I opted for no prefix value, servoA 8 bit pos, Servo B 8 bit pos, then ascii 'S' for end of command. it ends up like '90 90 53' now that ive written that down, perhaps its a bit silly as a servo value might be mistaken for hte S... oh well... its only for the lego model lol.
so the arduino code is quite simple, extract the serial data, into variables ServoA and ServoB, then do maths on it and send it to the built in RC servo control library to control the RC servos on the lego model. it worked way better than I expected it to.

its almost the same concept as the X-PID code, except that RC servos have built in position controllers, but the X-PID will use external POT's on the wiper motors and the arduino will be the 'positional brains'

anyways, X-Sim once installed, has two important parts. Extractor, which extracts the info from the game, and converter, which receives the extractor data and sends it to your defined outputs. they dont nessesarily have to be on the same machine, I plan on having a seprate laptop to run converter..
the extractor will have a wizard, to scan your games and automatically set them up with the right plugins, which are all installed automatically.
converter also had a wizard to set up the complicated maths for me. I dont think it would be terribly difficult to set up to send RPM and Speedo, as serial values to the Arduino the same as I have done for the G-Force values. they are all just game variables, and are all available to select in the X-sim Settings.
There were lots of help files avaialble to read through as well. Good Luck!

Also, the rich folks tend to go and buy 2 linear actuators called 'SCN5' (all over google) which is a serial driven high speed lienar actuator, which is used in a LOT of commercial motion sims. X-sim can directly talk to them too, without the need to use an arduino like my cheapo wiper motor method will.
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

one thing missing is a fan for the wind effect :wtf:
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

never say never.
x-sim guages.PNG
x-sim guages.PNG (7.83 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
x-sim effects.PNG
x-sim effects.PNG (7.74 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
can map the 'Speed' effect to a speed controller driving your fan :P the possibilities are endless...
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

A must for those wanting to drive a Clubman round Bathurst :lol:
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Jayme wrote:
hsv08 wrote: Wow Jayme that's wicked. I can't wait to see the bigger version of that!

yeah, it took me a while to figure it all out.... and some of it is still a little 'grey' lol. there wasnt a lot of documentation so many brainpowers and trial and error was involved.
https://github.com/X-Sim/X-PID-Arduino- ... or-control
this is where I started. I plan on using this for my full sized model.

for my lego model, I started a LOT simpler. x-sim has the power to take a defined 'output' and make it into an 8 bit or 16 bit value, and then spit that value up a serial port, either with or without some prefix values. I opted for no prefix value, servoA 8 bit pos, Servo B 8 bit pos, then ascii 'S' for end of command. it ends up like '90 90 53' now that ive written that down, perhaps its a bit silly as a servo value might be mistaken for hte S... oh well... its only for the lego model lol.
so the arduino code is quite simple, extract the serial data, into variables ServoA and ServoB, then do maths on it and send it to the built in RC servo control library to control the RC servos on the lego model. it worked way better than I expected it to.

its almost the same concept as the X-PID code, except that RC servos have built in position controllers, but the X-PID will use external POT's on the wiper motors and the arduino will be the 'positional brains'

anyways, X-Sim once installed, has two important parts. Extractor, which extracts the info from the game, and converter, which receives the extractor data and sends it to your defined outputs. they dont nessesarily have to be on the same machine, I plan on having a seprate laptop to run converter..
the extractor will have a wizard, to scan your games and automatically set them up with the right plugins, which are all installed automatically.
converter also had a wizard to set up the complicated maths for me. I dont think it would be terribly difficult to set up to send RPM and Speedo, as serial values to the Arduino the same as I have done for the G-Force values. they are all just game variables, and are all available to select in the X-sim Settings.
There were lots of help files avaialble to read through as well. Good Luck!

Also, the rich folks tend to go and buy 2 linear actuators called 'SCN5' (all over google) which is a serial driven high speed lienar actuator, which is used in a LOT of commercial motion sims. X-sim can directly talk to them too, without the need to use an arduino like my cheapo wiper motor method will.
Thanks for all that info Jayme

I have spent a couple hours over at xsim, not sure if that was a good idea or a bad idea as now I want more!
I've definitely got a lot of reading to do.
I'm buying a few more arduinos from Ali as I'm
Going to need a few. Also may get a couple products from Leo bodnar
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

As for updates I haven't had a lot of VP as such, more so sitting there thinking about what and how to do things next.

I did however brace the steering system so know it's solid and also remounted the pedals to another peice of mdf that was a better size and have tied it into the steering system to further brace everything from moving, the brake also got another spring internally and externally to "2stage" it as such.
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG
I've also cut up and mocked up my shifter heights, it's been recessed lower so I can fabricate a shifter gate to avoid the misshifts with the g27 pententiometer based shifter
I won't spend to much time on this as ultimately I'm going to remove it for a button type shifter where it doesn't relie on voltages and processing to determine gear. It will be buttons so when inside that gate it will hit the button and determine ie 3rd gear

But anyway
IMG_0330.JPG
And also the buttons for the shifter and d pad etc will be recessed into the window switch hole
IMG_0332.JPG
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Sorry for such a late update, Things have been hectic with business and work

Anyhow racesim is somewhat done for the time being (excuse bucket seat, its on there for the kids to have a skid)

Features:-
Custom made gearshifter
Fully working handbrake
Paddle shifters using indicator "flash" for upshift and "wiper squirt" Downshift
Indicators work
Fusion headunit with 6 speakers system. 6x9 up front, 6" rear, tweeters up top