My gaming rig

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

My gaming rig

Post by hsv08 »

So I recently made a purchase of a g27 after selling my old one a few years ago which I regret

So when it arrived I chucked it on an old desk to test it still functioned
The young fella did a few laps on gt6 before I packed it up ready for the build

IMG_0172.JPG
I had a spare dash from a vy acclaim I wrecked gather dust in the shed
Plus a lot more parts I've collected
IMG_0173.JPG
I had a few HSV trims floating around so I threw those on for good measure,
Me and the young fella got to work with cutting it down to a size that would actually get back from the shed to inside.
A95C2A92-59C4-48F6-9100-74E647764E70.jpg
IMG_0178.JPG
We got everything mocked up to see what we could acheive
IMG_0179.JPG
Went to my local u-pick to find they had just received a Ve caprice.
So I got the steering wheel, colomn indicator stalks for an easy $85

So I got to work with removing the original g27 steering wheel and shafts etc to find a way to mount it.
I cut off the uni joint and ground it back enough to fit snug in the g27s original shaft sleeve
IMG_0192.JPG
Last edited by hsv08 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Re: My gaming rig

Post by psyolent »

that is the whole next level. love the whole dash idea!
i built a PVC racing rig with my old G25. i changed out the wheel for an aftermarket autotechnica - i found i was getting a sore back with the small G25 wheel - wierd.
i made a simple adapter out of MDF to make it work no problems.
i got the logitech surround sound speakers setup as well
i got a VS Exec seat which i used as the seat.
need to splash out on a 42" LCD 1080 TV so i can use that instead of the 24" monitor i have on there at the moment.

for playing GT6 on the old PS3 and Forza on PC - its bloody awesome.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

IMG_0198.JPG
The outer edges were cut and fixed to stiffen everything up
IMG_0195.JPG
The steering column was mocked up for heights
IMG_0206.JPG
Pics of fixing will be updated later
In order to have have the indicators and wipers working and wheel mounted mappable buttons in games like LFS
I needed to have some way to connect the 6 outputs of the original g27 steering wheel buttons to this Ve wheel

So I cut up a vy clockspring to take the inputs to the original ve wheel buttons

The indicators will be remapped to inputs from something like a game pad so the games can recognise them as mappable configurations
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

psyolent wrote:that is the whole next level. love the whole dash idea!
i built a PVC racing rig with my old G25. i changed out the wheel for an aftermarket autotechnica - i found i was getting a sore back with the small G25 wheel - wierd.
i made a simple adapter out of MDF to make it work no problems.
i got the logitech surround sound speakers setup as well
i got a VS Exec seat which i used as the seat.
need to splash out on a 42" LCD 1080 TV so i can use that instead of the 24" monitor i have on there at the moment.

for playing GT6 on the old PS3 and Forza on PC - its bloody awesome.
I had made a wooden race sim years earlier with the last g27 which I enjoyed. I did the same changing out the original small 27 wheel for a little race wheel from super cheap. Had a hand break setup using a joystick axis.
I figured this one I want to be as realistic as possible as eventually it will also be running the gauges with the pc games like lfs and rfactor usingbthere outgauge systems and some coding through arduino

This one will be getting a 36" for console gaming like gt6 but have a 3 screen monitor setup for the pc which is ultimately where I want to go with it.

All the cluster and heater units etc will be turning on to give that real feel.
Shifter will be modded and pedals reverse mounted.
Ultimately I want it as real as possible ;)
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

One word, WOW.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

nice, I through this thread would be about your PC lol.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yeah i also have a 3 screen setup which is great for forza, but, my old r9 290 is a bit beyond it for eyefinity now.
its funny the PC spec solongas its got SSD and can address 16GB of ram, can be a bit aged, its the graphics which does the heavy lifting.
some of the later pedals with potentiometer type might be a good fit for the accelerator, whereas the brake is a different scenario
i do like the idea of a h-brake - remember a lot of the inputs could come thru a USB keyboard interface ; using a keyboard controller

i really like the idea of outputs though. always wanted to build and old hydro outrun machine :) loved that game growing up
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

pretty serious simulator, I like it :)
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

psyolent wrote:yeah i also have a 3 screen setup which is great for forza, but, my old r9 290 is a bit beyond it for eyefinity now.
its funny the PC spec solongas its got SSD and can address 16GB of ram, can be a bit aged, its the graphics which does the heavy lifting.
some of the later pedals with potentiometer type might be a good fit for the accelerator, whereas the brake is a different scenario
i do like the idea of a h-brake - remember a lot of the inputs could come thru a USB keyboard interface ; using a keyboard controller

i really like the idea of outputs though. always wanted to build and old hydro outrun machine :) loved that game growing up
i really like the idea of outputs though. always wanted to build and old hydro outrun machine :) loved that game growing up[/quote]
Have you got some pics mate?
Yea the pc I will run it on will be getting a new motherboard and graphics card to take co trial of the screens efficiently. SSD definatly a must

The g27 pedals have your standard 10k pots on them. So with a bit of fabricating I don't see why I can't get real pedals on there. But that will be one for once it's built.
As for the brake I've looked and loadcells. I will get one once the bulk of works done. I'm trying to find out if a valve spring or a cat converter bolt spring will give me enough tension until a load cell can be brought

Handbrake is also a must. I want to keep it looking orginal so I may hook a detachable hydraulic type handbrake setup an also a normal handbrake both on the same input.

I've also had a brain fart and instead of running the paddle shifters mounted to the wheel
(I'm wanting to not have to cut/drill and of the steering wheel for resale value)
I'm going to run the inputs for the paddles connected to the window washer on left stall (pull back) and the high beams on the indicator to be the other paddle shifter.

That way no hacking up plastics on wheel and also the shifter will always be in the same place so no trying to find the upshift paddle when your half locked.

Looking at using arduino to create a HID but my programming skills aren't that good yet.
So will probably find another joystick or gamepad to hack for their inputs
wozza
cars: VR commodore

Post by wozza »

Ive used one of these ages ago in a flightsim pit....http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=204
some other cool stuff on this site as well...