vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Goog anti virus software?

Post by vlad01 »

Avira is the one that is choking my PC and putting ads in buying sites like ebay and what not. Avast I had some issues with that too, though I forget what it was.

I want go away from using those 2.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I use Avast, it has it's issues and could be a bit of a resource hog but since fitting the SSD HD it doesn't seem to be that bad.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

vlad01 wrote:I used to use AVG about 6 or so years ago but stopped as it was known to be a CPU hog, quite often using 100% CPU for no reason. No idea what its like now?

Is the free edition any good?
It doesnt do that often, Iv noticed it does that only if thinks something funny is going on.. it runs every new app through a 'sandbox' on its first ever execution and detects if it tries to drop files or write any files/registry edit which appear suspicious. So it does use a bit of CPU to do that, but only does it once on new applications.

Iv also set it up to alert of any new requests for internet access for any process/application. I find that handy to see when any program is trying to phone home.. and can drop that straight away.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:I use Avast, it has it's issues and could be a bit of a resource hog but since fitting the SSD HD it doesn't seem to be that bad.

I found it basically just jams my PC up for up to a min sometimes. If I disable it its runs perfect.

Its not disk usage or memory, its CPU. not a huge usage % wise but it could be flooding interrupts or something and no other program can get in and effectively jams out.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

i use a mac. dont have problems with viruses.
failing that on winblows, mcafee.
failing that, a VM on fusion and, no AV at all. if any issues, delete VM and redeploy.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
The1

Post by The1 »

you can still upgrade for free, just need to do a bit more to get it. I use windows defender and also have malwarebytes installed to cleanup anything else. Seems to work great nothing ive found gets past that combo

https://www.techspot.com/article/1300-w ... loopholes/
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I have run malwarebytes a few times, seems pretty good though I haven't seen it find anything before, in fact none of them usually do, sometimes a false positive on very old software or files from way back when.

Can malwarebytes be used as a complete solution?

No macs please, mcafee? seriously lol. No i'd go for linux after win7 is completely dead but that will be a long time. At least another 5-10 years from now.
FXST02
cars: VP V6 Auto sedan

Re: Good anti virus software?

Post by FXST02 »

Vlad,

What flavour of Windows 7 and 32 or 64 bit?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Good anti virus software?

Post by vlad01 »

ultimate X64 SP1
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

vlad01 wrote:Its not disk usage or memory, its CPU. not a huge usage % wise but it could be flooding interrupts or something and no other program can get in and effectively jams out.
It will be bottlenecking I/O since no other program can open its files until they've been scanned, every single time. And unless you have a supercomputer this can be quite time consuming, but some people need saving from themselves.

If you have some self-control try switching off some of the shields. I've never seen the point in the browser ones (which will be where your ads come from) if you're not using Internet Explorer, and the filesystem ones are the speed killers. Scan any suspect files you download manually before opening or restrict the shield to your downloads directory, and run the automated email scanner or switch to plain text view only and exercise common sense.