jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

which conrod?

Post by jenko »

I am about to build another short block for my boat and have pulled apart two blocks and they had different profile conrods one was H beam with cast marks left on side the other is a type of H beam but more like a capped triangle profile and with cast marks linished ,
they are both factory spec but one from later model and both rods weigh the same .
The question is which one do you guys think is the better rod ,or which one set would you use
Attachments
20170830_164453.jpg
20170830_164231.jpg
Last edited by jenko on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: which conrod?

Post by Dylan »

HQ will be happy there's reference. NFI on the rods though sorry. Maybe toss a coin?
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Thanks for reference boys lol,
The rod on the right looks more solid but also in that is heavier ! Are they known for weak rods ? Given the later ones are bigger I'd say so, do they run the same size rod bolt ? I'd normaly go the one with bigger rod bolt if different
jenko
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

same size rod bolt same weight just different construction by same weight I mean 0.5 gram difference
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Is the one on the right the late model powdered metal version they are stronger than the cast ones.did you just weigh it as a whole or weigh both ends
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
jenko
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

The true Hbeam in the lower pic on the right is from the early e type v12 1969 and the one on the left is series 2 v12 1979 the one on the right would only be the 0.5 gram lighter as I balanced it to the lightest in the set and the measured weight for the comparison was whole (I have not measured the ends to see what difference is there) I am leaning towards the later rods as they are linished and as you say powdered casting
jenko
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

have turn top photo around to avoid confusion both are very strong rods and are good for 8500 rpm so it is not really an issue but would like to make the best choice rod bolts are 3/8'' only turn 7000 rpm any way. And I don't have an ocd issue same as every one else on forum :lol:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

they are both Ibeams.ide be checking the bigend weights and small end weights or balancing will be off cause the calculations for bobweights will be using the bigend weight as rotating mass
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem